Logbook Bottom Time question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm past 100 dives and keep the running total (just for grins) based upon total time underwater.

would love to dive as often as you do. keep up the good work.

by the way, i keep track of my total underwater time, and make sure that it is less than my total sex time. cheers

I always keep track of the underwater time from my computer (starts at 3-5 feet underwater) and stops back at the surface. I keep it in hours and minutes too. It's kinda neat to look at how much time we get to spend underwater! Makes you realize that time does fly when you are having fun!

Safe diving!

QUESTION: How in the HeII did you get to 100 dives and manage to keep track of how much time you've spent underwater??? Will you do my taxes???

You gotta do something during surface intervals right? :D

After each day of diving I go through my DC and log it all in the book. Rarely will I do it during my SI and occasionally I'll do it once we get the boat back to the dock. But mostly at night, it just takes a few minutes.

Kinda cool to see how much cumulative time I've spent underwater.

I've kept a log since my first dive and that was 40 years ago. I started recording in quarter hours, then went to the nearest 5 minute interval, then went to strictly minutes to log each dive. Total time is summed in Hours:Minutes.

I enjoy the process of maintaining the log and find it a handy reference. While I have a "comments" area, this is where I am the least disciplined. Other than recording my camera setup, I typically only write if something truly out of the ordinary occurs.

Glad to see you are off to such a great start! Keep up your log - it will mean a great deal to you over the years.

I use bottom time , not time-in time-out.
I actually put the bottom time (and other information) into a spreadsheet. This way I can easily do statistics like bottom time for the first 100 dives, the second 100 (BIG difference)...; BT for 2009, 2010, etc.
Fun to look at, and sometimes useful.

As someone who's still new to diving, less than a year, but approaching 100 dives, I'm looking for a specific answer to the following question in regards to how to fillout the cumulative bottom time in my logbook's executive summary section.

Question: When adding up Bottom Time in your logbook do you simply add the bottom time from each dive to the next to dive and so on and so on? Or do you use the Time In/Time out method?

Just looking for a little clarification as I haven't filled in any of the BT to date. I do have the BT for each dive logged in the book, just never totalled it all up. With my dive count where it's at someone mentioned that I should start to total it up and keep track of it.

Thanks for any insight anyone may provide. I appreciate the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom