Loggerheads are here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMdoogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
We've seen a record number of Loggerhead turtles in the last few days in West Palm Beach. It must be their mating season. I saw two Loggerheads mating off the Mizpah wreck yesterday, and saw three today on Flower Garden reef. If I hadn't gotten out of his way, one of them would have head butted me, he was that close. Come on down and bring the widest angle lens you can get.

I forgot, one of the other dive boats in the area today reported a leatherback turtle right next to their boat on the surface. We heard it on the radio. How cool is that?

When I went diving last weekend just off the Breakers we saw two Loggerheads. One came up right behind me. I looked over the the bf and he's pointing right behind me - I turn around a it's like THISCLOSE to me! It was amazing. That one got away pretty quick, but a few more mins into the dive, we saw one resting on the bottom, a big one. As we were checking out a ledge I saw her (or him?) go up for air and come back down. As we were heading back to the boat we saw her again, almost in the same spot, resting on the bottom. We went and investigated and she let us touch her. Incredible animals...I need to buy a dive camera.

The turtle that is in my avatar is one I swam with when I was about 80 feet down. He came out of darkness and approached me. We swam side by side for like 2 min.

I have seen a lot lately too. Can not wait to get out some more this weekend! I am excited for my night dive this Saturday; hopefully get to see some sleeping.

Thanks for the semi-recommendation on the charter. I have been wanting to dive with them for a while.

We've seen a record number of Loggerhead turtles in the last few days in West Palm Beach.

Okay, I'll bite, what's the actual record?? :D

When I went diving last weekend just off the Breakers we saw two Loggerheads. One came up right behind me. I looked over the the bf and he's pointing right behind me - I turn around a it's like THISCLOSE to me! It was amazing. That one got away pretty quick, but a few more mins into the dive, we saw one resting on the bottom, a big one. As we were checking out a ledge I saw her (or him?) go up for air and come back down. As we were heading back to the boat we saw her again, almost in the same spot, resting on the bottom. We went and investigated and she let us touch her. Incredible animals...I need to buy a dive camera.

Melody,

It's good to hear you're out getting wet and having fun :)

went out with emerald charters yesterday and saw at least 12 in 2 dives off juno. most of them sleeping on the bottom, don't know what they have been doing but there tired and very content. either laying eggs or doing the mombo, but they look like they are smiling while asleep. go figure.

Attachments

• P2160197-1_edited-1.JPG
    P2160197-1_edited-1.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 33
  • spiegle&whaleshark 011.jpg
    spiegle&whaleshark 011.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 28
It must be their mating season.

Nesting season is March through November, with the peak season being June and July... hopefully we will see TONS more in the next few weeks. :blinking: Have you ever got to see one lay eggs? It's AMAZING!

I am doing a night dive this Saturday. How active are turtles at night?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom