Logging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elevatorguy2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m sure this has been discussed before but here goes. My friend and I are very seriously looking at bring up some logs for processing into boards or selling as is. We do have some ideas and information as to how to best go about this but are looking for more. Can anyone recommend sites etc to visit?
Before the environmentalists jump all over me about habitat and such let me assure you that doing anything to harm the area or cause problems is of our greatest concern. Even though we are going after logs the lakes are our biggest assets.

Commercially pulling logs out of the water is not trivial.

This post shjould not be considered complete just what I know about. I believe you need a permit from MNR. You'll also need to be a licensed commercial diver and have appropriate insurance.

You'll also need a system for raising beaucoup lbs of water logged log, a place for them to dry out and a mill.

There are some guys doing it - check out http://www.forestnet.com/archives/april_00/submerged.htm

Elevatorguy2:
I’m sure this has been discussed before but here goes. My friend and I are very seriously looking at bring up some logs for processing into boards or selling as is. We do have some ideas and information as to how to best go about this but are looking for more. Can anyone recommend sites etc to visit?
Before the environmentalists jump all over me about habitat and such let me assure you that doing anything to harm the area or cause problems is of our greatest concern. Even though we are going after logs the lakes are our biggest assets.
By the time you pay stumpage fees, get permits, transport logs to mill, pay boat fee and include paying for equipment to retrieve logs off the bottom, and your time and effort, You'll owe a lot more that you started with.........

What's the saying???

The best way to end up with a million bucks in the dive business.......
Start with $2 million!!!

Unless you do it illegally........... But that's a whole different story!!

I know some divers that did this a couple of years ago and by the time they finished locating, raising (once you get it off the bottom your not allowed to let it back on the bottom), bringing them on shore, renting the truck, getting to the mill, paying the stumpage fees they made just enough to pay for their air, gas, and special bags etc.

Don't seem like its worth it, just my opinion

Depends on the wood. There was a company around Wisconsin somewhere that found a stand of submerged 200 year old mahoganey (sp) or something like that. It turns out to be in ultra-high demand for musical instruments, and they were selling each log for $40k... I saw a special on TLC about it a few years ago.

Good luck finding that in Ontario.

Transporting logs:
The logs you raise also have to be transported off the water on a barge or boat. You are not allowed to float them out.

All the best
CC

Boogie711:
Depends on the wood. There was a company around Wisconsin somewhere that found a stand of submerged 200 year old mahoganey (sp) or something like that. It turns out to be in ultra-high demand for musical instruments, and they were selling each log for $40k... I saw a special on TLC about it a few years ago.

I think those logs are all hidden by the gold coins and silver bars on the HMS Speedy.

Snowbear:
Maybe I could teach the horses to use a "pony tank"...

That reminds me of a log that some people near Bath are trying to relocate,

In the 20's near the park (name forsakes me at the moment) they had a teams of horses drop a large oak tree that they wanted to use for a sailboat. Down came the tree, the trimmed it up very nice and started hauling across the bay of Quinte near the "Gap". This being winter they started across the bay and through the ice they all went. No-one has been able to locate this log and team of horses yet, but lots of tried.

Boogie711:

The story is tweaked a bit... that show was made back when the guy was busy raising $$ for his new u/w logging project; he was much better at raising money than logs.
The result of all the high viz PR work is that the govt thought there was a lot of $$ to be made so all sorts of new laws & permitting procedures were put into place, really throwing a wrench into things for the "non-BSers".
You're probably better off hitting the cyprus logs down south; they're not into paperwork down there nearly as much.
The trees were maple & oak, btw. They sank while being towed in log booms to the sawmill in Ashland. White oak doesn't even float when its green.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom