Long dives, what do you do for hydration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This seemed the best place for this question. Although I'm not doing long tech dives, after 30 or 40 minutes, I find myself preoccupied with how dry my mouth is, and start having warm feelings about getting out of the water rather than enjoying the last 20-30 minutes of a dive. That being said, what are people on long dives doing to combat this? Just interested in something to get a couple mouthfuls of say, gatorade, juice, etc.

TIA

Nobody is doing 4 hour OC dives that much anymore, but the traditional go to was those little Capri Sun juice baggies. You get much less dehydrated on CCR since the loop gas is 100% humidity. So you really don't need to drink as much as an OC diver would per hour.

Some will take the bladder out of a small CamelBak or similar.

ETA: this is nicely pocket-sized:

I clip a Samsonite collapsible silicone water bottle to a D-Ring. Only caution is to not add air to the bottle when taking a drink at depth. I've done quite a few long duration OC dives. I sidemount a pair of HP117's, and can easily get well over 2 hours in the lakes arround home.

In Mexican caves and the ocean I have a camelback bladder that I have zipped inside my wing.
In the Great Lakes and Florida caves, I just drink the water around me as needed.

I'm sure that the tech folks who have lengthy deco obligations will have some great ideas.........but for me I simply use a standard 8oz plastic water bottle with a pop-up top and keep in my BC pocket for warm water or my drysuit thigh pocket for cold. The pop tops can be hard to find so I just bought a bag of them a few years ago and handed out a bunch to like minded buddies. As long as I start the dive with the bottle 100% full then there's no problems. About halfway through my dive I'll just take out the bottle, remove my reg, insert into my cakehole, pop out the top with my teeth and squeeze.

9xwKVpr.jpg

I bought some of these UltrAspire 500ml silicone pouch-bottles from Botach.Com - Currently 2 for $10

Untitled-1__64477.1551139509.jpg

You can cut the straw down.

Damned if I’d risk taking a drink with a significant decompression obligation or in an overhead. Choking on some liquid just because I wasn’t properly hydrated when I jumped in.

Multi-hour dives on a rebreather are a lot less stressful on your throat and lungs with the moist gas than on open circuit.

Always plumb in your pee valve and drink plenty of water prior to jumping in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom