long hose and octo under shoulder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nibl

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any drawbacks to have a bungied octo routed under the right shoulder with an 90° elbow (~70cm (~28" hose) ) compared to using a 55cm (22") hose?
It feels like it should be more streamlined if routed under the sholder.

(For single tank rec. diving) <-- edited for clearification

There's certainly a perspective that supports under-arm routing when the 1st stage naturally routes all the hoses downwards (no 5th/end-port), as yours does.

The benefit of routing over the shoulder/around the neck is mainly for closer consistency with doubles routing - important if you are seeking a 'beginning with the end in mind' approach.

there's no real problem with doing it like that, but it's no more streamlined. The 22" hose is probably just too long for you in a single rig. We use a 24" hose as standard in doubles but that's on the left post and either going straight down our slightly out before it comes back across so for singles you could very well just need a shorter 16-18" hose for it to sit properly. I use a ball swivel adapter on my short hose as well, but it is with a 16" hose

Before switching to an AIR2 my octo was necklaced and routed under my right arm on a 90 as well as my primary on a 40" hose. Now with a back mounted pony my pony second stage is routed the same way. I favor it under the arm rather than over. IME, it keeps the octo down and in place better, whereas over the shoulder the octo would ride up my chin.

There's only a couple considerations after determining proper hose length and that is to have a proper gearing up procedure to make sure you put the octo on first, then the primary so you don't capture the primary and screw up an air share and also if you wear a flashlight clipped on your right shoulder d ring and bungeed to the harness, if the hose is at a certain length I found that it can catch under the light head. A small adjustment will fix these minor annoyances, but I think they are worth mentioning due to the fact in an air share we want the process to be smooth.

Is there any drawbacks to have a bungied octo routed under the right shoulder with an 90° elbow (~70cm (~28" hose) ) compared to using a 55cm (22") hose?
It feels like it should be more streamlined if routed under the sholder.

(For single tank rec. diving) <-- edited for clearification

I am not sure I understand the question. An octopus/safe second is never installed on a 22 inch hose. That is your primary on the 22/24/26 inch hose. The safe second is on a typically 36/40/44 inch hose. This is conventional breath your primary, donate your "octopus' to the OOA diver.

Alternatively, you can bungee, over the shoulder, the secondary on a 22/24/26 inch hose and breath the primary on a 36/40/44 inch hose routed under the arm with a 90 degree fitting. This is donate the (long hose) primary to the OOA diver, switch to the bungeed second.

Why the different hose lengths, well, a 100 pound woman is not the same length and diameter as a 400 pound guy. Of course I have seen 450 pound women, so I am being equal time here.

N

A 90 degree elbow is an extra point of failure. It would be a better option to route your backup over the right sholder on a 22 or 24" hose and having your primary reg on the long hose, hog looped. Standardization is your friend.

One thing I want to point out, the so called under shoulder will only look that way when you are standing up right. Think when you are in horizontal trim, arm extend forward, the so call "under shoulder" or "under arm" is actually bowing out from your body on the side, no different than 22" above shoulder in terms of streamline. In fact, it may even get in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom