long hose + bungeed octo for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a six foot hose on my primary regulator, routed under my right arm and then around my neck with a bungeed backup hanging around my neck since I started diving recently and it still make perfect sense to me.

If my dive buddy, or another diver in the group, is in a panic for air they will be focused on the primary regulator that I am using. Even they grab the regulator in my mouth, or if I offer the primary, the backup is readily accessible and quick to access for my use.

I have had to share my primary regulator with a buddy once in an emergency and by tilting my head downwards a bit the loop on the six foot primary hose played out and allowed the space needed for the two of us to become organized and make our ascent.

I will continue to use this system because it makes sense and has worked for me when we needed it.

I'm a noob, but I just cannot understand why this aspect of tech diving isn't the industry-wide standard. It just makes tooooo much sense to have that 7' hose ready. The OOA diver knows it works because it's working for you in that critical moment. The extra hose length is better for you both.

With that in mind here's the noob's perspective on this one:

1st) The lp 7' hose will have the same pressure out as in. 7' or 7" ... not an issue. The gas from the first stage is getting PUSHED through the hose by the pressure in your tanks, not PULLED by your lungs (you're not sucking it out like a straw in a fountain drink).

2nd) I'd rather not have a panicked OOA diver in my face while he/she restores normal breathing function. That space the 7'lp hose allows works just fine for me.

3rd) Thoughts not on the mind of the OOA diver while searching for that next gasp of oooOOOOHHHH2:

• Does that gas come from a short hose or long hose?
  • Does the buddy saving my bacon here at 60fsw have his/her secondary bungied or clipped?
  • Are those split fins?
  • This person better not be another PADI diver!!!
  • Nahhhhh I don't want your air I'll just swim up with what I have in my lungs.
Nope. Pretty much it will be a mad grapple for the reg followed by an interesting swim back to surface, and someone will owe you a beer :wink:

Well today my and my buddy switched our primaries to a 5ft Miflex hose (I decided given that we do not do diving in any area that does not allow us to swim side by side to go for the 5ft over the 7ft.), worked great, very easy to deploy and share gas with, MUCH more so than my previous setup. Before we had practiced donating the primary, but it would take longer for me to switch to my occy, having it around my neck makes the switch very fast and easy. I really do not understand now, why this setup isn't encouraged for new OW students as it has so many clear advantages over the standard setup...

Hoping they release a Miflex HP hose too so I can put my console on one :)

Far too many divers heading off to their LDS buying a BP and wing , ditching their computer consoles and attaching a SPG and putting one or two computers on their wrists, wrapping a 7' hose , bungeeing the octo , looking in the mirror thinking " I look like a 2008 tech diver... I must be one".

Rolling my eyes. You must be smoking crack or something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom