long hose configuration...good idea???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFoggyMask:
What you mean to say is, thousands of people die every hemisecond from diving short hoses. If you don't use a long hose you will die.

Also greeny, way to 1. Admit you're solo diving and doomed to die and 2. complicating things. All you need is an empty knife pouch to hold the hose in place. Although your way sounds much more complicated? So props for that I guess.

I've been solo diving since I was a youngster and I'm not dead yet.

Why carry an empty knife pouch when I can carry the lightsaver which is the same ballast as the light and a much more secure place to wrap the hose? You drink the coo-laid too, don't you? ;-)

Wow, this forum has helped me to clarify this and many other questions I had as a new diver.

Today I ll go get my new gear. I have deicide to go for a Dive Rite Trans Plate and of course I am going to adopt the long hose configuration. One thing I did not mention is that I am 6,3'' so that might influence the length of the hose as far as comfort level.

Again, thank you for the feed back

if you dont plan to go into any overhead environments the 5 ft hose will be long enough and it will stay in place, i use a 7ft hose in both overhead and ow environments and it stays in place, its a little differnt but you will get used to it very quickly

There seems to be considerable confusion regarding hose lenght vs the height of the diver. The height of the diver has very littel impact on the lenght of either the HP or Long Hose.

Consider the HP hose. It has to reach from the left post reg to the left hip dring. The distance between these two points is set by the lenght of the back plate, not the height of the diver. Tank position,hose routing etc might affect the required lenght, but not by very much. Most back plates are ~15-16" tall. We make 17.5" tall an even a 19" tall plate, and a diver using these might need a longer hose, but most divers using commonly available plates do not.

Now consider the long hose. It passes down from the right post, wraps under the canister, up across the chest and around the neck. Here again the distance from the reg to under the canister is a function of backplate lenght, not the height of the diver.

A diver's girth can affect the lenght as the hose has to pass from right hip out across the belly and up the chest.

Just food for thought.

Tobin

I got the gear.

The LDS, Fill Express / Dive Ritre Express, recomended the 5' hose, which fit very well. The guy at Fill express spent 2 hours configuring the gear, I was impress, outstanding service. First dive this Sunday, cant wait.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Also, if you would/will. PM me the setup you bought and the price. *roughly the price* if you don't want to go into detail. I'm considering doing something like this.

Thanks,

Michael

cool_hardware52:
There seems to be considerable confusion regarding hose lenght vs the height of the diver. The height of the diver has very littel impact on the lenght of either the HP or Long Hose.

Consider the HP hose. It has to reach from the left post reg to the left hip dring. The distance between these two points is set by the lenght of the back plate, not the height of the diver. Tank position,hose routing etc might affect the required lenght, but not by very much. Most back plates are ~15-16" tall. We make 17.5" tall an even a 19" tall plate, and a diver using these might need a longer hose, but most divers using commonly available plates do not.

Just food for thought.

Tobin

Yes, but when you unclip the gauge and pass it over your shoulder to hold it up to show another diver ( as in the DIR OOA procedure), you have to pass your left elbow under the hose while holding the gauge. I suppose taller = longer arms, and for however that correlates, the taller diver might benefit from a slightly longer HP hose.

Mark

mark99:
Yes, but when you unclip the gauge and pass it over your shoulder to hold it up to show another diver ( as in the DIR OOA procedure), you have to pass your left elbow under the hose while holding the gauge. I suppose taller = longer arms, and for however that correlates, the taller diver might benefit from a slightly longer HP hose.

Mark

If you use a longe hose it won't route as clean to the left hip dring. It will bow out if it's much longer than the distance from the reg to the dring.

You don't need to fully extend your arm to read the SPG.

Tobin

mark99:
Yes, but when you unclip the gauge and pass it over your shoulder to hold it up to show another diver ( as in the DIR OOA procedure)
Old procedure. No need to show gauge, its time to get out of dodge, you either have enough gas or you don't.

Jeff,
I thought the changes were not final... I haven't seen anything on Quest just the posts on DIR-X.... I still would check my SPG if we were somewhere where a direct ascent would not be practical or safe (away from anchor line).... it's a part of being a "thinking" diver

Back
Top Bottom