long hose configuration...good idea???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All;

This week I am getting my first BP/W. It will be either a Halcyon Pioneer or a Dive Rite TransPlate.

But here is my question: I am thinking to go with a long hose configurations. But I am worried about how the long hose will behave in open water. Will it stay tucked in place, etc...

I am a new diver 30 dives so far in salt water. I have dove with an octopus type of configuration so far.

What do you think?

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

This week I am getting my first BP/W. It will be either a Halcyon Pioneer or a Dive Rite TransPlate.

But here is my question: I am thinking to go with a long hose configurations. But I am worried about how the long hose will behave in open water. Will it stay tucked in place, etc...

I am a new diver 30 dives so far in salt water. I have dove with an octopus type of configuration so far.

What do you think?

If routed properly (under the right arm then around the neck), a 5' long hose (which is appropriate for open water) should stay tucked with no problem. It should be much more streamlined than your previous gear. A 7' long hose (appropriate for overhead environments and OW) usually requires some piece of equipment to tuck it under (a canister light on the right hip waist strap or even a knife sheath placed on the waist strap above the crotch).

Don't forget to practice deploying it.

Good luck,
Dave

While I like the way my 7' hose routes, another option is to go with a 40" hose and use a right angle adaptor at the 2nd stage (not a universal joint, just a 90* elbow) you then route under your right arm and straight up to your mouth - very streamlined, and closer to what you are used to. That said, I did my OW course with a 7' hose and didn't have any problems, I did practice deploying on my own as I was the only one in the class with that type of rig.

The 40" hose still gives you the advantage of a bungeed backup under your chin and donating your primary - just a little less room to work with for ascents and air shares.

Aloha, Tim

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

What do you think?

That's what I use and it's a much better, more streamlined solution that the default hose lengths than my first reg came with.

Get a 22' or 24" LP hose for the backup and use a bungee necklace with it (surgical tubing works too).

Get the 7' hose for you primary. Run it across the chest, behind the neck from the left and into you mouth from the right. Tuck the excess hose under your waist strap.

And while you are at it, throw in a 24" HP hose for the SPG.

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

What do you think?

There are some things you should think about before going to a long hose. I am a very big advocate for BP/W and a long hose, and I also advocate the Hogarthian philosophy: that being said you should have the training that supports this type of diving. if you have not read this thread you should take a minute and do so.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162144

To answer you question if it is secured correctly it is no problem, but you have to know how to deploy the hose and rescuer it. There are drills you should learn and practice that will insure your safe use of the equipment.
Please don't take this post as condescending or in a derogatory manner I just want you to dive safely. Also consider if your dive buddy does not use a long hose you will have to teach him how to dive with your configuration.

I switched from a 7-ft hose to a 5-ft hose. You might want to consider a 5-ft hose, too. Here's why.

Since I don't use a cannister light, I had nothing to hook the extra hose length around. So I tucked the extra under my waist belt. Trouble is, half the time the hose would "untuck" under water without my realizing it. The result was a royal mess of hose floating above me, inviting entanglement and interfering with access to my valve.

Another problem was that regardless of the care I'd use, the second stage would sometimes wind up dragging on the ground or boat deck, 'cause I'm less than 7 ft tall.

Yet another was that in preparing my rig I would coil the hose and pass the second stage through the coils then clip it to my D-ring. But once I donned the rig, I had 7 feet of kinks to squeeze off the end of the hose. Big nuisance!

The 5-ft hose stays under control, and I haven't dropped the second stage yet. And no kinky problems. And my buddies and I still have the convenience of mananaging problems with a long-enough hose.

YMMV

BigTuna:
I switched from a 7-ft hose to a 5-ft hose. You might want to consider a 5-ft hose, too. Here's why.

Since I don't use a cannister light, I had nothing to hook the extra hose length around. So I tucked the extra under my waist belt. Trouble is, half the time the hose would "untuck" under water without my realizing it. The result was a royal mess of hose floating above me, inviting entanglement and interfering with access to my valve.

Another problem was that regardless of the care I'd use, the second stage would sometimes wind up dragging on the ground or boat deck, 'cause I'm less than 7 ft tall.

Yet another was that in preparing my rig I would coil the hose and pass the second stage through the coils then clip it to my D-ring. But once I donned the rig, I had 7 feet of kinks to squeeze off the end of the hose. Big nuisance!

The 5-ft hose stays under control, and I haven't dropped the second stage yet. And no kinky problems. And my buddies and I still have the convenience of mananaging problems with a long-enough hose.

YMMV

You can always place a knife or a somthing like that in place of you light to help hold the hose.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

The main reason why I am thinking about the long hose is because it appears to me that it is a safer configuration in an out of air situation since it gives you a lot of room to maneuver in an emergency.

Captain CaveMan:
This is a Dir site so be carefully not to get all tied up into dir stuff. just look at the pic's
If only someone had given me this warning years ago...

Funny! :D

Seriously, I think once you start doing air shares with a 7 footer, you won't go back.

Back
Top Bottom