long hose configuration...good idea???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long hose with a bungee'd backup is a good idea if you plan on living or saving your buddy. Otherwise, you know, use the ol' two short hoses and get killed. Your preference.

Icarusflies:
Thank you very much for all this info.

I really think that the long hose is the way to go. My other options are the octo (too much stuff) or the integrated reg with power inflator. I might be mistaken but it looks to me that this configuration adds potential problems by sharing 2 important functions, one goes wrong and the other follows.

In some pictures I see that the secondary reg is secured, besides the surgical band, with a clip to a D ring. Is this so it stays in place?
Octo well just a plain second stage on a 22 or 24 inch hose (depending on your size) and the Halcyon wing your getting already has the inflater you need ( Non intigrated). Then the backup on the short hose you will need to use bungy or surgical tubing in it to mount it around you neck , then a bolt snap for the second stage on the long hose to secure it when not in use ( usually walking to and from the water).

Last , while you setting all this up , get a SPG and mount it on a 24 to 26inch hose with a bolt snap, i"m 6'1 and run the longer version , and you will be almost fully set up.

TheFoggyMask:
Long hose with a bungee'd backup is a good idea if you plan on living or saving your buddy. Otherwise, you know, use the ol' two short hoses and get killed. Your preference.
Thousands of people are diving every day without the LH config and doing just fine. I love my LH config, it's safer, easier to dive, takes me to the next level of diving, matches my buddies and is more streamlined, but come on, I don't think I'd sign up for your superlative-orama.

Icarusflies:
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

The main reason why I am thinking about the long hose is because it appears to me that it is a safer configuration in an out of air situation since it gives you a lot of room to maneuver in an emergency.

From experience, this weekend, I think a longer hose would be better.

OOA

As you read this, it was done with a short hose. I was lucky to have my buddy there. We have been buddies from day one. I feel if it would've been anyone else, I would've been bent or dead.

Michael

For a lot of good information about how a BP/W/long hose equipment configuration is set up, you could order Dan Mackay's book, Dress for Success. Lots of very good, clear pictures and text. Failing that, check out the BAUE site for some good photographs.

Briefly, the long hose has a small boltsnap tied to the hose near the second stage. This allows you to keep the second stage clipped off to the right-hand D ring on the harness whenever it is not in use (that means whether you are wearing the rig or not :) ). The backup reg is on an elastic necklace that keeps it close to your mouth. How the necklace is constructed and secured has been discussed here a number of times, and if you search in the DIR forum on "necklace", you'll pull up some threads with good photographs and descriptions of how it is done.

mwhities:
From experience, this weekend, I think a longer hose would be better.

OOA

As you read this, it was done with a short hose. I was lucky to have my buddy there. We have been buddies from day one. I feel if it would've been anyone else, I would've been bent or dead.

Michael

Glad you are ok. I much prefer the 7 foot hose, gives you more options and room to work if you need it.

Jason,

Thanks. It was quite scarey. It REALLY scared me when the mouth peice popped off. With a longer hose, that wouldn't have ever happened.

Thanks,

Michael

Quick question, why put the long hose on the primary when you could put it on the octo and simply pass it off? I would much rather keep my primay reg and give my octo to someone else...

mwhities:
Jason,

Thanks. It was quite scarey. It REALLY scared me when the mouth peice popped off. With a longer hose, that wouldn't have ever happened.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I read your story via the link provided. A long hose could help, but there are far more fundamental issues you need to look at:

Why did you blow through your gas so quickly? Do you know your SAC rate? Any gas planning?

I'd suggest looking into the concept of Rock Bottom. Apparently your buddy happened to have enough gas to get both of you to the surface safely. Was this chance or the result of planning?

"grabbed his fin" Kinda of scary. What if you didn't? Team Awareness Is very important.

Glad you made it back OK

Tobin

frankc420:
Quick question, why put the long hose on the primary when you could put it on the octo and simply pass it off? I would much rather keep my primay reg and give my octo to someone else...

Why?

The basic concept is the OOG diver may be seconds from breathing water. The reg in you mouth is known to be working, your "Octo" might not be. Are you doing the OOG diver any favor giving him a potentially fouled, low performance reg?

As the donating diver you have ~90-120 seconds to resolve any problem with your back up.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom