long hose configuration...good idea???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with a 7' hose without issue. Before I got my can light I kept a pair of paramedic shears in a sheath on the right side and the hose tucks under them easily.

I'd vote for the 7' hose. With a little practice stowing, and deploying is no big deal. As others have mentioned a knife, etc. can substitute for a can light to keep the hose snug.

I've had a team mate that used a 5' hose (petite woman) and while it was certainly possible to do drills and share air, it's just a bit more difficult. Non contact shared air ascents, and swimming exits are more difficult do to the limited scope. The 7' hose is a well proven configuration.

Tobin

Icarusflies:
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

The main reason why I am thinking about the long hose is because it appears to me that it is a safer configuration in an out of air situation since it gives you a lot of room to maneuver in an emergency.

If you like the concept of the long hose... take a look at DIR as a system of diving. Look fo rlocal DIR guys there and go dive with them and see how they work together.

Oh and forget everything you read about DIR on Scubaboard.

The longhose is a really good idea. In am tall and use a 7' hose. I tuck the excess under my harness and to the right. In my case the harness knife sheath is too small to tuck it under. I keep my knife left of center. By doing it this way you will not have to move your knife once you do get a canister light on the right to tuck it under.

5' hoses are ok but if you plan to continue training why not just train with the 7'?

Do you really want to be the guy with the shorter hose?

-V

I found a 5 ft hose to be a bit too short for me so I klugged 5ft 4in to 5ft 6in hoses which seem to be right for me. The 5 footer was pulling when I looked left. I'm using a 30 inch hose on the SPG. Could drop to 28 but I'm sure 24 would be too short. I'm 5'11", 230 and old with limited flexibility. YMMV

Whichever way you end up going, just make sure you practice sharing air and ensure that you think through the entire gear setup to make sure the pieces work well with each other.

For instance, if you regularly dive with a snorkel, you may find that it interferes with the deployment of the long hose. If you are used to carrying your knife on your leg, you may find that you really want to have something to hold the 7 ' hose in place and need to move it. At which point you may realize that you'll want a smaller knife. etc etc :)

Not that any of that is hard, I switched to a BP/W w/ long hose at dive 7 I think ...

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

This week I am getting my first BP/W. It will be either a Halcyon Pioneer or a Dive Rite TransPlate.

But here is my question: I am thinking to go with a long hose configurations. But I am worried about how the long hose will behave in open water. Will it stay tucked in place, etc...

I am a new diver 30 dives so far in salt water. I have dove with an octopus type of configuration so far.

What do you think?

I was in a similar situation like you. I had about twenty dives under my belt and looking for the best equipment configuration out there. Luckily before I knew this site existed my LDS showed me the BP/W and long hose configuration. So I went with it and never looked back! I think it's the BP/W with 7' or even 5' hose and 22" back up on a bungied necklace is the best set up out there. Some other divers may look at you and say and whisper that you're one of those "technical divers" guys and avoid you, but hey, that's their problem. Oh I personally I haven't had any problems having the long hose tucked under my waistband. I like to really sinch the waistband up!

Ive dove the 7 foot hose OW for the past 50 some odd dives with no problems. Just get the hose config you need for you size.

Thank you very much for all this info.

I really think that the long hose is the way to go. My other options are the octo (too much stuff) or the integrated reg with power inflator. I might be mistaken but it looks to me that this configuration adds potential problems by sharing 2 important functions, one goes wrong and the other follows.

In some pictures I see that the secondary reg is secured, besides the surgical band, with a clip to a D ring. Is this so it stays in place?

Back
Top Bottom