long hose length question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I am 6ft 3 and with the fin spread would be well over 7ft planning on taking intro to caves next year now im thinking the 7 ft would not be long enough for someone my size ?

Ah, I forgot to add some info. I do use a BP/W, but I don't have anything on the right side to tuck a hose under, such as a can light. I guess I can try tucking it in the waist?

Also, I will not be doing any overhead diving...just plain old OW. The closest I'm gonna get to an overhead is heavy kelp.

-Francis

northern - no. 7ft is plenty. if your bud goes oog, s/he then goes first in line back out, so its his/her length that matters, not yours. if *you're* oog, you are first and your bud's hose has to reach your mouth. it might be nice if all your buds had the 9footer, but doubt it's gonna happen. then again, you're not gonna swim so fast they can't keep up!!

red - yes, you can try tucking it in the waist strap. i used to have a pocket on the right, before i got my can light, and that worked great. as others have said, a knife works fine, too.

NorthernShrinkage:
Ok I am 6ft 3 and with the fin spread would be well over 7ft planning on taking intro to caves next year now im thinking the 7 ft would not be long enough for someone my size ?

I am also 6'3" and I have no problems with the 7' hose. In your cave profile your knees are bent so you are a little shorter. Besides in the OOA scenario the only time you have to be single file is through a restriction. Other than that you can swim side by side. Hope this helps.
Butch

The 7' hose might not be strictly necessary in open water, but I can't think of any reason not to use it. As far as tucking it, when I'm not wearing my can light, a pair of EMT shears in a holster works very well to route it under.

daniel f aleman:
Using a 7' hose in open water is not NEEDED, nor advised:

Not needed? Maybe not. Not advised? Not advised by who? You?

A 7 footer should work just fine. Tuck it in you right waistbelt and adjust the loop as needed.

I'm not a big fan of the 5... but whatever.

You might want to consider a 3.3. Use an elbow at the second stage and route it under your arm.

It just depends on what you want. The important thing is donating the primary while having a quality second under your chin.

A 7' hose would work, so would a 30'. Why not have a hose to the surface?

If you have an OOA incident in open water you are going to want the OOA diver close to you so you can look at his eyes and hold onto his rig. The single most important aspect is to prevent an OOA diver flying to the surface with your reg in his mouth. If you EVER have a REAL OOA incident in open water, you will understand. Hogartian, remember? The 7' is for single-file air share...

daniel f aleman:
A 7' hose would work, so would a 30'. Why not have a hose to the surface?

If you have an OOA incident in open water you are going to want the OOA diver close to you so you can look at his eyes and hold onto his rig. The single most important aspect is to prevent an OOA diver flying to the surface with your reg in his mouth. If you EVER have a REAL OOA incident in open water, you will understand. Hogartian, remember? The 7' is for single-file air share...

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom