long hose length question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Sounds like someone's been bone'in up for a PADI exam!
Well, the kernel of truth in Daniel's statement is if you lose control of the OOA diver, a 7 ft hose would allow him/her to get some distance away. Not all OOA go as nicely as the drills people do.

I'd rather my buddy and I be responsible for our own buoyancy which is really tough when someone is hanging onto your rig. I can get close and look at his eyes without grabing him. I would take hold of the rig if it was absolutely necessary.

I think the most important thing is to prevent the OOA and panic in the first place.

daniel f aleman:
A 7' hose would work, so would a 30'. Why not have a hose to the surface?

If you have an OOA incident in open water you are going to want the OOA diver close to you so you can look at his eyes and hold onto his rig. The single most important aspect is to prevent an OOA diver flying to the surface with your reg in his mouth. If you EVER have a REAL OOA incident in open water, you will understand. Hogartian, remember? The 7' is for single-file air share...

JeffG:
Well, the kernel of truth in Daniel's statement is if you lose control of the OOA diver, a 7 ft hose would allow him/her to get some distance away. Not all OOA go as nicely as the drills people do.

I can make my long hose as short as I want it to be.

BTW, I have experienced plenty of real OOA... probably more than my share. :shakehead

Stephen Ash:
I can make my long hose as short as I want it to be.
Even after you lost control?

If you are in control then 7', 40", 5' doesn't matter. What if they guy is above you, you can haul on the hose, pull his fins, but its going to get ugly.

Remember, Daniel has the mindset of a Cancun DM, where the divers he is babysitting could be of dubious skill level.

Use the 7'.

I'm just saying that there are drawbacks in a real OOA situation in having any amount of extra hose that would contribute to my inability to grab and hold an OOA diver. As a working DM, been there and done it. Hogarthian is adapting to specific needs...

JeffG:
Even after you lost control?

If you are in control then 7', 40", 5' doesn't matter. What if they guy is above you, you can haul on the hose, pull his fins, but its going to get ugly.

Remember, Daniel has the mindset of a Cancun DM, where the divers he is babysitting could be of dubious skill level.

The time to establish control is when you hand off the reg. If you loose control... you loose control. The length of the hose has nada to do with that.

I've had my share of knuckle heads, too.

Actually, a 5ft hose works the best, but that is a custom........

ShakaZulu:
Actually, a 5ft hose works the best, but that is a custom........
Custom? Whats custom about it? Its a common hose length.

daniel f aleman:
Use the 7'.

I'm just saying that there are drawbacks in a real OOA situation in having any amount of extra hose that would contribute to my inability to grab and hold an OOA diver. As a working DM, been there and done it. Hogarthian is adapting to specific needs...

Sorry, that just doesn't make sense. A 7 foot hose does not limit the ability to establish and maintain control. As a working instructor, been there done that. Hogarthian is about risk management.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom