DIR- GUE Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP said he had a cord wrapped around his neck. The long hose is never wrapped around a neck, so I don't see why it would be traumatic. I also don't see why you choose to attack rather than understand that there is nothing traumatic about wearing a long hose.
I had a cord wrapped around my neck, to include the back, and it was tightened till I blacked out and this is what you come back with? So deeply sorry my trauma isn't logical.

Gaslighting is a term for a very specific behavior, it's not a term for any and all lying or trolling.
Having ones reality repeatedly questioned by someone else, seems to fit the bill.

@graphei I hope you can find a suitable solution and also make judicious use of the ignore forum member function.

Having ones reality repeatedly questioned by someone else, seems to fit the bill.
This is not accurate. Otherwise any time someone didn't believe someone and questioned them it would be gaslighting.

Gaslighting is specifically a form of manipulation where you are deliberately trying to confuse someone by knowingly saying something didn't happen or isn't true even though you know it is.

It's a specific form of a really terrible type of abuse, not a general description of dishonesty or questioning/not believing someone.

With a long hose if you duck your head and the hose slides over, especially with a hood on, there is no snag points.

Possible sidemount might be an option instead. But hose routing is similar.

First, I'm a woman.

Second, since there seems to be some confusion: when I was strangled, it wasn't with a long hose. I wasn't scuba diving. Not even close. It took a long time and a lot of effort for me to wear a simple gold chain again. I'm hoping that by the end of the year I'll be able to wear my safe second around my neck instead of clipped to by BC. However, with a wetsuit that compresses my neck and a safe second around a necklace that will undoubtedly move, adding yet another thing in the vicinity of my neck is going to give me a whole lot of pause.

As for my goals, I read here GUE Fundies was great for helping folks really dial in their skills and set them up for long term success. I have no interest in cave or wreck. A 5' hose is short enough where I don't have to do the wrap. I have tried a 7' hose on dry land with all my gear and and my Apple Watch gave me a high heart rate warning within seconds. No way I'd take that underwater for the foreseeable future.

First, I'm a woman.

Second, since there seems to be some confusion: when I was strangled, it wasn't with a long hose. I wasn't scuba diving. Not even close. It took a long time and a lot of effort for me to wear a simple gold chain again. I'm hoping that by the end of the year I'll be able to wear my safe second around my neck instead of clipped to by BC. However, with a wetsuit that compresses my neck and a safe second around a necklace that will undoubtedly move, adding yet another thing in the vicinity of my neck is going to give me a whole lot of pause.

As for my goals, I read here GUE Fundies was great for helping folks really dial in their skills and set them up for long term success. I have no interest in cave or wreck. A 5' hose is short enough where I don't have to do the wrap. I have tried a 7' hose on dry land with all my gear and and my Apple Watch gave me a high heart rate warning within seconds. No way I'd take that underwater for the foreseeable future.

Not for nothing, but given your circumstances/state of mind due to your past traumas, it seems questionable whether you could be a reliably safe dive partner. You seem to be triggered by relatively inoccuous things that could intiate a flight/fight response and cause you to panic. I imagine that a protracted discusson about your long hose concerns with a GUE instructor would cause them to reject you as a candidate for training.

-Z

Not for nothing, but given your circumstances/state of mind due to your past traumas, it seems questionable whether you could be a reliably safe dive partner. You seem to be triggered by relatively inoccuous things that could intiate a flight/fight response and cause you to panic. I imagine that a protracted discusson about your long hose concerns with a GUE instructor would cause them to reject you as a candidate for training.

-Z
They are triggered by a specific thing, not "relatively innocuous things".

If people could talk to OP with a bit more compassion and empathy, and without these kind of patronizing inaccuracies/oversimplifications, I imagine the advice they are given might be much better received (and more accurate).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom