Long hose storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J1M1

Reaction score
Anyone have any experiance running the long hose through tubing in the backplate holes. I am going to do it but would like some info on it. thanks, J.D.

jaydee197:
Anyone have any experiance running the long hose through tubing in the backplate holes. I am going to do it but would like some info on it. thanks, J.D.

There are two basic methods for this. Either stowed on the manifold which can be deployed by simply pulling the hose out or run down your right side and up and around your head which you can deploy by flipping the hose over your head.

I would think that trying to stow it by your backplate might make it a little rough in case you need to deploy it.

DSAO

i have been running the long hose around me head for a long time and it gets to me every dive as now i am carrying a travel cylinder and an O2 cylinder. There just seems to be to mch clutter in the chest area. While in florida i saw some guys had tubing tied onto the backplate holes where they stored the long hose and said it was easily deployed. More info would be helpfull.... Thanks J.D.

So are you using your long hose as a backup reg and using the short hose as your primary? If your long hose is your primary then I would not suggest stowing it, maybe its just my persoanl opinion, but the folks I have seen do this are using it as a back up and not their primary. Another thing to thikn about is after doing s-drills how easy would it be too re-stow the long hose by yourself? WIll you have ot have your buddy assist you?

Where are you clipping off your travel cylinder (what exactly is that anyway) and the O2 tank?

Yes - the beauty of an around-the-chest-and-neck rigging is that it makes it truly easy to restow...

Why is it important to be easy to restow?

Let me ask you this - do you honestly think that some guy with a long hose stuffed in a bunch of bungee around his backplate is going to practice Out of Air emergencies, knowing that he has to restow that thing everytime he practices?

long hose is used as the primary. Travel cylinder is an 80 cft. nitrox cylinder used for stage deco or foe hypoxic dives. clipped to chest d ring and waist d ring. O2 cylinder clipped on right side in same fashion. Long hose now is run over the two clips and behind the head to be deployed. If stuffed into the backplate i assume not to restuff it if deployed and wrap it around the head again if necessary thanks,, J.D.

IMO, the decision as to how to stow the long hose and which reg to breath/donate shouldn't be based on how it carries but how it deploys and how it goes back.

The need to donate may be temporary especially in technical diving. How easily will you be able to restow the long hose?

i use my long hose as primary in all dives i do. and it has been very comfortable when the need arises (several times) to donate it to an out of air diver . It gives space between the two of you and allows me to have mobility and check out other OW divers in our group.

I have the long hose around my neck, with my spare reg under the long hose held by a necklace made of silicone rubber tubing. :bash:

paolov

jaydee197:
I am asking this because i saw a high end instructor doing this. not mentioning any names but well known.

You're changing your equipment config based on what you saw an instructor doing? Maybe you should 1) rethink that and 2) ask the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom