Long Point, Marineland Dive Report 8.17.10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With solid conditions on the peninsula, Charlie "SpKelpDiver" and I decided to dive Long Point this morning. As we came to the point MaxBottomtime and Merry were just leaving from their dive at Buchanon's reef. Initially the plan was to enter via Lee's rock but some heavy surge forced us to enter at our usual more protected point entry. After seeing MaxBottomtime's shots of an overgrown Lady of the Garden I was determined to snap a few of her myself. It being a mild low tide, the plan was to cruise at the 45-50ft range in search of Ted's pinnacle and the Lady. Unfortunately even with the low tide, she was deeper in the 55-60ft zone and we missed her. I found a very large pinnacle which was strangely similar to Ted's but Charlie pointed out it didn't have the same girth or height of its deeper cousin. No matter, plenty of Sheephead, Rockfish, Barred Bass and a variety of nudi's kept my shutter finger happy. Visibility was 15-20ft, Temps were 61 on the surface and 52 @ depth. Charlie has been putting together a compilation video of our shore diving travels and had enlisted me to shoot some video of macro subjects to fill some of the shots he needs to finish the vid today. Splitting my time between stills and video left me with few keepers but here is what turned out:
CopperRockfish.jpg

RockfishReefPicture2.jpg

Star-1.jpg

RockfishAnenome.jpg

Pinnacle.jpg

Hermi2-1.jpg

AnenomeReefScene.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sensational aeolid (Flabellina?) 2nd from the bottom...

Hermissenda Crassicornis. A tough day for nudi shooting, not many out and even fewer willing to pose for me. I did see my first ever Palos Verdes Clown Dorid though. Up until now I've only seen them at Santa Cruz Island. He was a little guy and not very photogenic, but still a first.
ClownDoridFirstatLongPoint.jpg

Last edited:
Frank, I don't know if we've met? But your PV pics are OTC!!! Thanks fer boxin' in out with MBT for the most bestest.. :wink: .. Haaa!

Frank, I don't know if we've met? But your PV pics are OTC!!!

Thanks:D I believe that we've crossed paths quite a few times but have yet to really "meet". The first time I met Phil was when you two were finishing up a dive at Marineland when the parking lot was on Nantasket. I believe you commented on my Sea Shepherd sticker. We've also talked briefly during Sunday services a few times. I'm usually diving with Charlie "Spkelpdiver", so sure enough if u see him with an unknown buddy, its me:wink: I'll make sure to introduce myself next time I see ya.

Hermissenda Crassicornis. A tough day for nudi shooting, not many out and even fewer willing to pose for me. I did see my first ever Palos Verdes Clown Dorid though. Up until now I've only seen them at Santa Cruz Island. He was a little guy and not very photogenic, but still a first.

Thanks! Another one for the list, and a spectacular one at that!
I uploaded (some of) my Anacapa photos -- but not the San Diego dorid --
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/347802-anacapa-santa-cruz-july-30-31-a-2.html

Cheers
R

Back
Top Bottom