LONG post about a dispute with my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, this just got exciting, huh? :crazyeyes

I thought to check the BBB website and see if there are any complaints, but I can't get it to pull up the file for the company. They're listed, but the request times out and the website asks me to try again later....urgh....I'm curious if I'm the one odd fluke customer or if I'm just part of a pattern.

IMHO: Contact your credit card company immediately and secure your position. Contact an attorney if you are worried about extortion charges (I wouldn't be either). And consider filing a claim in Small Claims Court against the LDS (a preemptive move--that's where he'll be forced to file against you).

But by all means, keep us posted. This is High Drama!

Best of luck to you. If I ever go to Callie, I'm gonna contact you to find out the name of the LDS and visit it just to tell them that I'll never leave money there!

Good luck!

What a story....

I told your from page 1 that your LDS is an extreme case of bad business but I never thought that they will be such &#^#^@%
:)

Anyway...keep us informed !

Manogr

Its actually the "Ya dun me wrong" Country/Western Line Dance... where everyone keeps repeating the same thing and the shop just ain't listening to you OR themselves.

At the beginning, I saw this relationship as merely fractured... it has moved to being irreparably broken. You have my sympathy and I hope you get something out of this Cretin.

The employee must now realize that he screwed up due to his indifference, but he does not want to admit it to the boss. The boss wants to believe his trusted associate over a client, which has merits. But as I said before, when a shop tries to assign blame for a problem instead of just resolving it to YOUR satisfaction it is a lose/lose proposition.

BTW, I am sure he will be laughed out of the police station if he tries to press charges for you to threaten the use of a legal means of resolving the issue. Too funny... too funny! Good luck my friend, and I hope you continue diving!

Originally posted by Crrink
Yeah, this just got exciting, huh? :crazyeyes

I thought to check the BBB website and see if there are any complaints, but I can't get it to pull up the file for the company. They're listed, but the request times out and the website asks me to try again later....urgh....I'm curious if I'm the one odd fluke customer or if I'm just part of a pattern.

BBB is a meaningless thing. They only list those who pay to be listed and have no authority over even them. Don't waste your time.

That guy ain't going to no DA, he's just talking trash.

Call your credit card company and see if you got 2 credits or not. If not, he's lying. If so, I'd let it go at that rather than push for the other 20.

Tom

Who needs soap operas when you've got "As The Tank turns"
Get whatever you can from this guy and head on down the road. There are plenty of shops willing to HELP you out. I just came back from a trip to my LDS and gave them the short version of your story. They smiled, shook their heads alot, raised their brows, and finished filling my tanks. As the owner helped me carry my tanks to the truck, I told him"Glad I don't have that problem!". Smiles all around. Dive Safe!

Jetwrench

That LDS sounds like a nightmare but they probably did loose money trying to accomidate your scheduel but you should just suck it in and take it. Go with another dive shop because obvously they don't know what they're doing if the only person who can fill tanks is the owner and he's never there. And they couldn't find another instructer to finish off the class, at the shop im at we have too many instructors I think we have 9 or 10 active instructors right now. Their classes are way over priced also for a class of 4 we only charge 175 and the rental's included in that. Shop around to find the best LDS in your area before you buy anything or take any more classes.

Dear Chris,

I have been away from the board for a week or two and read with fascination your story.

I help run a dive shop in Canada and like any shop have had "problem customers" in the past (you are not in that catagory by the way) and even the worst of these deserve better treatment than what you received.

While your experience has been a true pain in the butt it has been enlightening for members of this board and hopefully other store owners. I have asked our staff to read this thread as an educational tool to avoid this type of problem and to demonstrate how good communication is critical to customer service.

I particularily liked net Doc's reply and the SPAR rule.

The Scuba industry is populated with many interesting people, however they are not always business people and these types of stories still happen but luckily are becoming more rare. Since I have have started in the industry I have noticed an improvement overall especially as more of the dinosaurs retire or move on.

Good luck in your future scuba adventures and congratulations on completing your certification through this adversity...

:updown:

Well, I got to work today, and naturally, there was NO fax from the LDS waiting for me.
No proof, no verification to show that they made any additional credits to my credit card account beyond the one I can see from May 25th.
As you might imagine I wasn't too happy about this...but hey, fax machines can be temperamental, cleaning crews can mistakenly dispose of the wrong papers, SO, I called the shop and left a polite message asking them if they could refax the information.
Naturally I didn't hear from them.
Sometime around noon I decided I'd give them a call. The employee answered, said that they hadn't faxed anything because the owner was writing a letter to me that he wanted to include....I said OK, but I'm only going to be at work for about another hour and a half (I live in CA, but work NY hours), and that I'd need to recieve the paperwork by then in order to be sure that they had indeed credited me the proper amounts.
Naturally, this simple statement made him irate, and he barked at me that I'd have to talk to the owner about that......ok I said, can you please give me a number where I can reach him....and he gave me the owner's cell phone number....guess he didn't lose his phone after all....
SO, I called the owner, reiterated all of this, and asked him if he'd be able to fax the information over within an hour and a half. He barked NO (which at least implied to me that he COULD fax the info., but not until later...)
He got all cranky, said he'd credited me twice (again implying that it was somehow my fault that they'd credited more than they intended to), said he'd credited me the additional $20 that I demanded, and said I got my $300 and that I should stop asking him for proof.
First of all, I've only demanded he credited $280, but it didn't seem like a good time to discuss technicalities.
Second of all, I let him know that I needed something more tangible, like a copy of the credit receipt. I asked him when he COULD fax the info. over, and it was only then that he told me that he couldn't and wouldn't. He said that the LDS's fax machine is broken, and that he didn't have the info. with him, so he couldn't fax it from another place. His employee is the only one who works at the shop, and apparently he can't close the shop long enough to take the paperwork to a Kinko's and pay the three bucks it'd cost to fax it all to me.
Well, I told the owner that his word wasn't good enough for me and that I'd need proof since my credit card company was telling me that no recent credits had been made.
When I said that he got really angry and hung up on me.

So now here I am incensed that they told me yesterday - sure, no problem, we'll fax you what you need, and today I find out that they NEVER intended to fax anything. :upset: I'm further incensed by the fact that the WHOLE reason I'm going to such lengths to work this out without getting the credit card people involved is because I'm trying to make it as painless for him as possible (i.e. cost him the least amount of money and time).
You know, it would've been a whole lot easier and cheaper if a month ago I'd just called the credit card company and disputed the charges, but I didn't. I've done my absolute best to try to work with him, but...well, you guys can see how it's turned out.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Wait a few more days and see if the credits appear, or just go ahead and begin the process of disputing the charges. I'm going to let the dispute department of my credit card company make the call...figure they should know best.

Oh, before the LDS owner hung up, he did inform me that he intends to take 'action' for the way I've bullied, extorted and cheated him. I can't wait to read the letter - maybe I'll scan it and post it for you guys to see.
Oh, and I guess now I know for sure why the other guy in my class called me so angrily - I can imagine how he felt being told by the LDS employee that I refused to pick my equipment up, made all sorts of scheduling demands, and absolutely refused to go diving on the original day I was scheduled.
All of which is about 98% untrue....you know, it's killing me - I really think they didn't intend to run the class with only two students...I'd love to know what would've happened if I'd been able to get to the shop in time to pick my equipment up.
Oh well, live and learn?

Yeah, the last part is speculation, and I can't prove anything, but well...if you were in my shoes, I bet you'd be wondering too.

EDIT: The BBB shows no complaints for the LDS, but yes, I do know that they're a toothless, powerless organization. I think I'll file a complaint, but I've always heard that it's a futile effort as they don't show up anyway. :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom