Long term in the Philippines - where to live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glamourpuss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
my boyfriend and i are looking to get away from the corporate world, quit our jobs and move to a tropical beachy town for a year or so. with the recent changes in visa extensions, the philippines is looking like a good choice. the question is where? I'm a dive master, but my boyfriend doesn't dive at all (health reasons) so we're looking for somewhere that's has a good atmosphere top side as well. ideally a small little beach town, as we don't really want to live in any cities, but the problem is that most of these places seem to be lacking ATMs and internet. since we are looking for somewhere long term we can't really rely on traveler's cheques and in order to support ourselves we will need an internet connection (we both freelance).

we'll be arriving in september and plan to spend about a month or so hoping around trying to find a place we like. so far on the list of places to check out are:

- panglao
- dumaguete area (dauin in particular)
- moalboal
- maybe puerto galara

should we cross any of those off the list? are there other places we should consider? keeping mind that we'd need a bank machine relatively close (el nido is out, cause the closest ATM is puerto princessa) and the ability to get an internet connection in our long term rental. (we don't want to go to an internet cafe everyday).

i would love to hear from anyone who lives in the phils or has experienced what it's like to be there for longer than just a vacation.

cheers, GP

PG is a good choice and there are a lot of long-stay options available. Price range is your determining factor. The place next to Asia Divers is nice. I stayed there for my IDC. CARMROB I think is the name of the place. Expect to spend about $500-$700 US a month.

Last edited:
You might want to consider setting up a local bank account. The ATM fees and exchange rate charges do add up (not sure what your Canadian bank charges)... Also note not all Filipino bank ATM machines are Plus/ Cirrus. Panglao, you have a short 20-30min drive into Tagbilaran City where there are banks, stores, services etc... Same with Dauin/ Dumaguete. Both are "small" cities and if you have a craving for civilization (big malls, restaurants, Starbucks :wink:, Citibank and HSBC) , Cebu City is a short ferry ride away... You also have the benefit of access to a lot of very interesting dives areas in the Cebu area (Apo Island, Moalboal, Cabilao, Malapascua, etc...). Also, culturally there are some interesting topside sites in that region as well for your non diving bf.

As for internet... Maybe one of the PPD'ers will chime in but I believe Smart has some wireless internet service (plug a cellular wireless dongle into your PC) but service might be $$$.

my boyfriend and i are looking to get away from the corporate world, quit our jobs and move to a tropical beachy town for a year or so. with the recent changes in visa extensions, the philippines is looking like a good choice. the question is where? I'm a dive master, but my boyfriend doesn't dive at all (health reasons) so we're looking for somewhere that's has a good atmosphere top side as well. ideally a small little beach town, as we don't really want to live in any cities, but the problem is that most of these places seem to be lacking ATMs and internet. since we are looking for somewhere long term we can't really rely on traveler's cheques and in order to support ourselves we will need an internet connection (we both freelance).

we'll be arriving in september and plan to spend about a month or so hoping around trying to find a place we like. so far on the list of places to check out are:

- panglao
- dumaguete area (dauin in particular)
- moalboal
- maybe puerto galara

should we cross any of those off the list? are there other places we should consider? keeping mind that we'd need a bank machine relatively close (el nido is out, cause the closest ATM is puerto princessa) and the ability to get an internet connection in our long term rental. (we don't want to go to an internet cafe everyday).

i would love to hear from anyone who lives in the phils or has experienced what it's like to be there for longer than just a vacation.

cheers, GP
long term based on your list i'd say dumaguete...

the city itself is a university community so it's young, vibrant and relatively inexpensive...

dauin is about 30 minutes away from the city proper... so you have a choice of living a bit more rural (out of the city) or urban (city)... matt_reed lives there and seems to enjoy himself...

dauin i think is also online (either wired broadband or wifi...)

the diving is fabulous and there should be other stuff your BF can do... also doing a little part-time teaching at Siliman to keep the cobwebs at bay

plus the relative ease in getting to cebu, bacolod and bohol will keep you from getting bored

Jag

cheers, GP

you need to check the signal for 3G service to get mobile internet (USB or data card)

via WEROAM (PLDT) or VISIBILITY(GLOBE) or Smart Bro (SMART)

however by next year perhaps there would be more providers (Piltel) offering internet service.

average cost per month would be around Php 3,000 to Php3,500

if DSL the Smart BRo can install an antenna in your residence.

however bayantel is a lemon todate. :shakehead:

3G service of Visibility is better than that of WeRoam. but if the area has 3G and few internet users then WeROam is nice, no sharing of the bandwidth. but it boils down to how many users are using the 3g in your locality.

one note very important : paying WEROAM bill is a SUCH A PAIN !!!!! so i would go to recommend Globe Visibility service. the people behind weroam lacks customer service proficiency . sad for the service they offer. i hope this reaches the top management.

Last edited:
Remember that the PI is 220 volts with bayonet plugs too....not sure if you knew that.....free volt appliances are the only way to fly!! Internet abounds on PG. I understand there is WIRELESS available now as well. Any choice is GREAT in the Philippines....but, we're biased like that.

speaking of power supplies.

there is an inverter i got (php 1,800) that converts 12v to 220v , 1000watts.

this may be hooked up in the cars cigarette lighter or clipped directly to a 12volts car battery.

Yep! I bought a couple of them too. THey are awesome for charging cellphones and laptops!!! This is a must have for those needing power on the road. Our drivers never have an issue "plugging in" while we're on the road. Good call PAO!

the new 3G hsdpa units of smart go for P4,500 and rate is P10/30mins. sun may launch an unlimited access plan soon.

see glamour... discussion has shifted from "where" to the 1001 permutations of internet service in the philippines...

isn't that wonderful?

i'll be in dumaguete this weekend... do i tell them to prepare the red carpet for your arrival?

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom