long time out of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherinere

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get to dive as often as I would like, I live in a cold climate and diving is not big around here, at this point the next time I will get to dive is a few months from now and it will make it almost two years since I have been down under. So Here are the list of questions
1. Is it like riding a bike, once learned never forgotten?
2. My equipment is still like new and was well taking care of does it need to be checked by anyone?
3. Do I have to or should I make a few shallow dives before going deep, which I love.
4. I will be diving with a new partner, what should I be looking for when picking them out?
PS for those who know of me it has been to long, and I have missed you all, I have moved on with my life and have left the abuse behind, tough but needed to be done. I thank you for the help and advise.C

1. I wouldn't say you will have forgotten everything, but you might have forgotten a few *really* important things...A refresher might not be a bad idea. If you've dived for twenty years and just returned, it would be different than if you dived for six months and then were off for two years.

2. Many folks recommend annual servicing for Regs...Might not be a bad idea to have the equipment checked, if only for peace of mind. After all, it *is* life support gear...

3. Shallower refresher dives are nice...I recommend them.

4. Recent experience, how many total dives, how well they know their equipment, their confidence level, etc.

or Scuba Tune up would probably be a good idea since you haven't been in the water for 2 years.

I agree that you should have the equipment checked out & serviced. Afterall, it IS life support equipment... you DO want to make sure it's in perfect working order BEFORE you get in the water, right?

cherinere once bubbled...
<snip>

1. Is it like riding a bike, once learned never forgotten?

No. Take a refresher course. PADI has something called "scuba review" with can be done in a day. Other agencies probably have something similar.

2. My equipment is still like new and was well taking care of does it need to be checked by anyone?

Get at least your regs serviced. Even idle there is pressure on the HP seat.

3. Do I have to or should I make a few shallow dives before going deep, which I love.

Yes. Excellent idea.

4. I will be diving with a new partner, what should I be looking for when picking them out?

If they know what they're doing :) Cover hand signals, OOA protocol and discuss the dive plan in some detail before getting in the water with a new partner. Also get an idea of how experienced they are and when they dived last.

R..

I echo what everyone else above has said. Even if you just re-read your OW manual and get some time in at a local indoor pool (call and ask, the YMCA's are very good about allowing divers in their pools during free swim) it will be very good for you. Diving isn't completely like riding a bicycle, you will lose the ability to do some things such as bouyancy control and even lose touch with some basis things such as the feeling of breathing without a mask and or how to do calm regulator recoveries. Drill yourself following what you learned in your basic OW if you have no other resource such as a professional refresher course.

On another note I don't know of your exact situation but congratulations on leaving an abusive situation. I've seen first-hand what those kinds of situations can do to a person and what a struggle it is for them to walk away.

Chris

Just to add my congratulations on the changes you have made in your life.

You sound like a very brave and resourceful soul and I would like to wish you a happy and eventful 'new' life.

Take it easy with the diving - careful is best. Start off shallow, and work your way up. Get your equipment serviced and make sure that who you dive with is experienced and well able to offer you the support that you will initially need.

Dive safe, but dive!

Kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom