Longevity of EDGE Brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Main Question: How long has EDGE been around and is there any concern for the brand going away? If they go away will I have problems getting my EDGE regulator serviced? (i.e. do they use unique parts?)

I am an advanced certified diver, and I have rented equipment for the 4+ years I have been diving. I am finally deciding to make the jump and buy all my own gear. For the price and reviews I have read, the
Edge EPIC 2012 Cold Regulator System Yoke Sealed looks to be a great regulator. However, since it is not an established company that I am aware of (like atomic, oceanic, etc) I am wary of buying it for servicing. I know my local dive shop services them now, but I'm worried if the company is fairly new if they will go away, but more importantly IF (and it seems like they won't due to the good reviews) they go away, are their parts generic enough to be able to get servicing done on them well beyond the company?

I know my local dive shop services them now...

Your question would be a very good question for you to ask your local shop then.

Unless of course you plan to buy your regs somewhere else. In which case you need to find out how keen your local shop will be to service regs they didn't sell you... parts availability or not.

IJS.

Farra, I have a bunch of edge and hog gear (and 3 different regs from them) and I have been very happy with it. the brand has been around a while and most of the parts are easy to find.

I do plan on asking them specifically. But I also am planning on buying elsewhere and there is a good chance I will be moving around quite a bit with my job (i.e. local dive shop will be changing). Thanks.

It seems the OP has been posting the same question about "longevity" of various brands of gear in different forums:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aeris/505153-aeris-brand-longevity.html

To the OP: "Longevity" or a brand "going away" really shouldn't be a major concern. Any major brand of dive gear and dive shops' ability to service it will probably last longer than your diving career. They are still servicing stuff made decades ago.

Thanks for the feedback. I also am considering Aeris gear as well (i.e. the other post). Im also considering just dishing out the extra money for the entry level Atomic or ScubaPro balanced regulator.

I'd compare other possible locations you might be living with their Dealer locator. It's my opinion that their distribution outside of the U.S. is pretty weak.
Dealer Locator

Scubapro, Aqualung, Mares, Cressi all have extensive world wide dealer networks from what I've observed.
So does Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis(owned by AUP) and Atomic/Zeagle(owned by Huish)

Another option if there isn't a local HOG/Edge dealer is that Scubatoys, Divers Supply or Jim Lapenta all do mail order service. I'm sure there's others as well.

One factor to consider is if you go entry level Atomic (Z2) at $409 is it has a 2 year service interval. So you make up some of the difference in not having to do every other years service like you will with some of the other brands - at least if you plan to stay within warranty compliance.

Edge started in 07 in earnest.

You're in Alabama, did you by chance get sold on "longevity issues" by a shop there, thus your concerns?

If yes, I can promise you that the longevity is not their concern, their concern is to make sure they scare you to buy the gear they are selling. So they sell you FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom