looking at buying a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

congrats on buying the money pit ..lol... seriously though its makes life so much easier......

congrats on buying the money pit ..lol... seriously though its makes life so much easier......
Lol thanks.
although apart from initial up front cost I can't imagine a personal use compressor has that much maintaince cost.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's too late to turn back now!
What oil do most people recommend to run in compressors ?

When are you going to build your nitrox stick? You are on the slippery slope now.

Lol thanks.
although apart from initial up front cost I can't imagine a personal use compressor has that much maintaince cost.

whatever synthetic oil your compressor manual says. In this case it is Coltri CE 750 which is highly likely to just be Anderol 750 with a Coltri label/markup on it.
If you buy Anderol it's like $200 for a 5 gallon bucket of it which will last you a long long time.

Depending on how often you choose to do air analysis, it's $100 a shot. I think the recommendation is to do it once a quarter for a commercial fill station.

Filter replacements are on an hour basis and are like $50 each.

Not familiar with coltri enough to know the hour recommendations for changing all of that stuff but it's really up to you. I wouldn't stretch oil changes, but depending on what kind of air is going into the compressor, filter changes and air testing may or may not be stretchable. If you have a REALLY good chiller on there and the air is super dry, your filters will last longer. I.e. filling tanks outside in the middle of the winter when the dew point is like a million degrees below zero so you have 0% humidity and the ambient temp is frigid. Your compressor will be quite happy if it is getting fed that kind of air and is getting that air blown over the coils. Fill in the middle of the summer in the Keys and your filters are going to have to do quite a bit more work

I don't own a Coltri so I have no direct experience with them. I use CF-8000 Synthetic Oil in my Alkin which I purchase from Global Mfg. Buy a gallon and it will last you a very very long time. I did continuous blend NITROX fills with a homemade stick and meters using the Harlow method. I have my air samples done by Trace Analytics which run $75.00 each time. I spoke with someone at DEMA but I can't find the persons card right now who said they would beat the price on sample testing so look around. Mine uses a standard LF cartridge so I shop everyone for price and usually buy 4 at a time to save $$.
I run year round in the Tampa area. Good luck with your new compressor....After you get the hang of it you will wonder how you ever did without it.

I bought a bauer PURUS last sunday, came with an electric motor, adapted, so i remove it and install a 3 hp honda, i borrow the pulley from an utilus 10, i need replace the pulley and as the manual have not a part number, and the belt is about 9mm wide, i want to were i can find the pulley for 3/4 shaft

Lol thanks.

I have sold a LOT of those compressors and the following advice:
Since you have a priority valve, make sure that you have more pressure on the compressor side than on the fill hose side. Opening the tank first can dislodge an O-ring in the valve.
Do your first oil change at 5 hours.
Use the 751 oil (available from Coltri, Nuvair, Me, lots of others)
After your first oil change, change every 25 hours or once a year ... whichever comes first,
Never pump a bulk storage tank or more than two 80s at a time.
Keep the outside clean. Oil film can collect dust which turns into a blanket causing overheating.
Change the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stage valves every 100 hours and the 1st stage valve plate every 500 hours.​
It will take a while for you to figure out just how many fills you can get from a filter cartridge so start checking the indicator strip at about 25 fills.

Not counting the cost of operating the engine, running the compressor, including filters, oil and valve changes will cost you about $2.61-$3.00 per fill of an average 80.

Keep it clean and it should last you for a long time!

Where are you located and what is your price range for the compressor? I have a couple 5000psi 15cfm units for sale. One of them is portable.

Where are you located and what is your price range for the compressor? I have a couple 5000psi 15cfm units for sale. One of them is portable.
5 year old thread dude...

Back
Top Bottom