Looking at dive trip in July - dad with two diving teens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siljesyl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
will be spending three weeks in Florida in July. Maybe looking for doing 7-8 days diving in Belize.
Some questions:
are there any carriers flying into the region from Florida, and what is the best route in July?
which resort is the best for diving teens in the region. I think we will looking for an AI type with dive operation/docks on site.

I know American Airlines flies out of Miami. I spent a week in Tampa a couple of years ago, then flew to Miami and on to Belize on American.

Can you narrow down "Belize" just a bit in terms of the area where you'll be staying? It's a small country but still a big and diverse place. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something that fits your wish list.

southwest flies ft lauderdale to bze. what are your skill levels?

You can fly to almost anywhere in Central America from Miami, including Belize City. Miami is one of American Airlines' large hubs; you won't find nearly as many flights to Central American destinations from other FL airports.

In addition to the experience question = How much diving do you want....is diving is the primary focus (4-5 dives per day) or do you want a more leisurely pace (1-2/day) with other activities thrown in? Do you want to combine the diving with other activities/excurions on land (Mayan ruins, ziplining, river tubing, etc.)? Are pretty beaches important? Are you happy with basic/rustic accommodations or do you want 5 star? Are the teens younger where an AI would be best or 18-19 and want nightlife? Would they be happy on a small island/caye 30 miles offshore with not much to do besides dive, snorkel or read in a hammock? Are you 100% set on Belize and all it has to offer....or are you open to other areas of the Caribbean?

Some very basic info on Belize diving destination options (I've planned 2 trips for our family of 4 there recently...so not an expert, but some experience with the offerings):

- Ambergris Caye = relatively large offshore island that is very touristy and developed, albeit on a small scale. The main town (San Pedro) has many restaurants, bars and small resorts. We were there for Christmas week 2014 = my teens (18 and 20 at the time) enjoyed it because of the "action" (we stayed right in the main town of San Pedro at a small hotel during a trip last year). Farther out of town are various condo developments in various price ranges. Many dive operators. I found the dive quality to be decent and enjoyable....but it will not blow you away depending on your dive travel experience. There are many dive sites in a 10-15 minute boat ride radius. There are options for daytrips to other small islands (Caye Caulker) or Mayan ruins

- Southern Belize Mainland/Placencia area = quieter, some very nice resorts with integrated dive ops. Logistics are easier if combining land-based activities with diving/water activities. Boat rides to better dive sites tend to be somewhat longer since you are on the mainland.

- Offshore keys = this is where the best diving is (other than via liveaboard boat), but these resorts are further offshore and they are small and pretty quiet (we are trying one of these in 2016). Boat rides to great diving are 5-10 minutes. If kids are happy diving, snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding, etc., could be a great option....but there won't be much in the way of high tech fancy activities to keep them entertained (likely no TV or internet).

It's also possible to combine at least some of these with time in western Belize for some "jungle" experiences.

If you narrow down your choices to one of these, folks here can help with more specific resort recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
If you don't mind non-luxury accommodations you might want to consider ReefCI (www.reefci.com), which is based at Tom Owens Caye in the Sapodilla Cayes. They offer Monday-Friday trips that are all-inclusive with 3-dives per day. There are no other dive operators in the area, so they never need to share a dive site. You are out on the island for the whole week, so there isn't a lot to do other than dive, but if that is what you are looking for I highly recommend. They usually have a mix of families and individual gap year kids, so your two teens would likely find others to hang out with. I've done three trips and had a great time.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! The kids are 15 and 17, so will the diving will be the focus of the trip. Hope to get 3 to 4 dives a day. The plan is to do Miami / Orlando afterwards, so that should hopefully allow us to do a week focused on diving. Was Thinking about Ambergis Caye or Turneffe, but have absolutely no info except what I found on the forums. So I am open for suggestions!

The atolls have the best diving but more expensive. Ambergris Caye is really close to good reef diving so will be cheaper. Have your kids show you how to look at these places on gmaps.

A slightly different recommendation would be to go with your kids to "Scuba Camp" a/k/a CocoView on Roatan in the Bay Islands of Honduras. Diving would be similar to Belize, it is easier to travel to from the USA, and travel times are shorter with direct flight from Miami to Roatan. Don't get me wrong, I love Belize, and have been diving in Placencia's Sapodilla cays. But I have also traveled with teenagers, and teenage divers at that. I'm all for the shorter and easier travel is best for a family. You can dive 24/7 at CocoView, and your kids will have a great time, as mine did.

Since the atolls are considered the best diving, and you're looking for 3 - 4 dives/day with diving the focus, and spending part of your vacation in Florida which would let you pack in land activities then, you might consider a live-aboard; the Sun Dancer 2 (my trip report from last May) or Belize Aggressor III.

Granted, it's all about the diving, but you get to do a lot of it, and some of the regional best. The daily 'work flow' is about as simple as it gets, and the camaraderie with boat mates can be surprising. It would also give you guys a fine 1st live-aboard experience, and if it's a type of diving you enjoy, it'd open the way to a lot of future options.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom