Looking at making the switch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone... Been looking at getting these fins for over 10 years now and need some input...

I've been diving for over 20 years and started off with mare plana avanti fins. Switched over to atomic splits the year after they came out, absolutely love them because I really noticed a difference in propulsion (could be my kicking style or the fat that they're just great split fins!).

As I got more involved with macro photography I noticed that my feet were floaty so I picked up a used pair of apollos. Did like the fact that they were shorter, loved the spring strap but still like the atomics more than the apollos.

So... now I've back once again to looking at force fins. I wear a women's 8 and use boot with hard sole (anyone remember the old tekna's?)....

All my diving is outside the US in tropical waters.

I noticed that the foil fins are split and wonder if they would be a good compromise for me but would really like input as to which style would you recommend and why.... and which size should I look at.

thanks....

I used to dive those massive Avanti fins that will not fit in any suitcase and take a huge toll on my old knees. But a few years ago I bought my first pair of Force Fins and was sold after one week of use at Coco View. It took a few dives to get comfortable with the feel but I was sold in short order as you will be if you give them a try. My Force Fin Pros fit in my carry on bag and cause no stress on my ankles or knees. Take the plunge and buy a pair. If you are worried about the size, I am sure that Bob or Blair will be happy to help out. Don't listen to the negative Nellie's who throw stones, they know not of what they speak.

For photography focused diver, I have found that the stiffer versions are better, So I recommend the Force Fin Pro, for your size, probably a L maybe an XL. What we need to know is not you shoe size, but the circumference of your foot about the mid arch. So please post that measurement and we'll be glad to help with sizing, of course that is with your bootie on.

The Foil Force Fin is a good fin, it is the original Split fin to market, but they are soft which is great for easy cruising the reef, but that softness reduces the fine control that the Pro offers, not to mention they are longer which makes any fin less agile. The ForceFin (any of the Original Shapes) feel similar to what a split is trying to accomplish, they just move you better. Just remember, they will feel odd when you start, they have minimal to no noticeable strain/drag on the recovery kick, while this is physiologically a significant improvement, their is a mental adjustment period that takes a couple of dives.

Meesier42 is right on with the mental adjustment. I took a group to a quarry in Ohio on the 4th of July. My group contained 6 divers,
4 of which were using Force Fins (rentals) for their first time, the other diver was wearing Mares Quattros. When we had finished our
first dive one of the divers remarked that he loved the fins but wished he could go faster. The diver wearing the Mares fins
told him "Faster?, I had trouble keeping up with you!" Everyone in the group ended up ordering Force Fins a couple days
ago. And I am fortunate enough to have a new pair of Excellerating Force Fins on the way to go along with my Pros and Extra
Force Fins! You are going to love your new fins!! Ignore what your legs tell your brain, you are moving along fine, just more comfortably!:cool2:

Went into diveshop this afternoon and found out everyone that tried them that day bought! 3 (including my new addition) were Excellerating Force Fins. I was surprised the Mares diver purchased a pair of Excellerating FF's!! (He is a tight wad!!!)

Last edited:
coralcruiser, I remember the day Laddie Handleman called me after testing Force Fins back in 1982. He wanted to take me out to lunch and sounded concerned. Laddie was one of the main founders of Ocean engineering and held a Degree in Business from Harvard. So, at lunch he tells me I will have a hard time selling Force Fins. Why?..he did not feel them, but did notice he was able to out swim another diver in a Florida current. Amazing, this topic comes up all to often. I think 10 years is the amount of time it takes for someone to take the plunge. But once you get use to the "NO FEELING" you start to really enjoy the dive. I see misinformation being spread each month in some dive magazine, or test lab, they FEAR our "FREEDOM". So come Join us. Best, Bob

For photography focused diver, I have found that the stiffer versions are better, So I recommend the Force Fin Pro, for your size, probably a L maybe an XL. What we need to know is not you shoe size, but the circumference of your foot about the mid arch. So please post that measurement and we'll be glad to help with sizing, of course that is with your bootie on.

Since I am hoping to use a thinner boot and sole... guess I'll have to go out and figure out which boot I want to get into first before measuring my foot with them on. :D

Bob... any dealers in the greater Phx, AZ area? Sure would make it easier to actually try them on in a pool first.

I'm pretty resistant to change... after all, it took me 22 years to buy a new reg (went from a side exhaust omega to an atomic) and then almost 3 days of diving with it to finally decide that I liked it!

Decided to just go and measure my arch both barefoot and with my current boot.

At the highest point of my arch, closet to the ankle the measurement ranges from 9 1.2 barefoot to 11 1/2 with my boot.

Mid-arch would be 9 barefoot, 11 with boot.

So which size do you recommend :confused:

Your arch measures the same as mine. I would say a size large with your booties. If you purchase them at ForceFin.com or by calling us at 1-800-FinSwim, then you may return within 30 days for exchange or credit. Give yourself enough time before your next dive trip, as we are running about 2-3 weeks out of the warehouse right now.

Take the plunge and buy a pair. I have used them for 1000's of dives and snorkeling and I love them. My favorites are the originals, easy kicking, feels like nothings on your feet and you'll move at a good pace. Last summer I put on some other fins, which I haven't used in at least 10 years, and my feet immediately began to hurt. It reminded me why every time I put on my force fins I'm thankful. It still mystifies me why so many people wear something that hurts and doesn't work very well. Make the switch to force fins and you'll be very happy.

I have 4 pairs (ok 3 until Blair ships me my new pair of Excellerating FF's) If you get near me (MI) you can borrow a pair of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom