Looking Back - Did Your OW Teach You Enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my OW instructor did a good job teaching the class. The theme of the class was safetly first. He conducted the class in a fun, relax fashion in general, but when he observed potential danger behaviors, he would stop the whole class and talked about it. If nothing else, I would credit him for making me a conservative diver, making me respect the danger of this sport.

Well, in my case, I knew darned well at the end of OW that I wasn't safe to "plan and conduct a dive in conditions similar to those in which they are certified."

One the things we require is the student demonstrating the ability to plan and execute a dive at our divesite. When I was going through that myself I've found it tremendously helpful, as it puts you on the spot and forces you to go through the motion instead of just following the more experienced divers. That said, the first dive without an instructor or DM present still felt weird.

I feel my training was quite adequate. Granted, it was lots of info over only a few weeks. It was easy because it was fun and exciting. However, I feel that being able to dive only a few times a year leaves me with questions. I dive with friends who have much more experience, so every spring feels like a refresher.

Then as has already been said, divemonkey33's issue is either the instructor, his own choice, or some combination of the two.

In fact, the notion that PADI Enriched Air can still be learned with tables is news to me. When I took my nitrox course, I wasnt told that I could choose between tables or computer based. I was simply told that the course was computer based. I even asked about tables because the amount of actual knowledge in the manual seemed really low, and also because I took my OW in the time when computers seemed more the exception than the rule. In those days I was cautioned against computers and we dived tables.

But considering my teacher, who I take on his word (he is a very serious and safe diver and we are still in touch) I think it is possible that he might have been under this impression himself. I dont know where instructors get their info on this but I wouldnt be surprised to hear that it comes from the dive center.

In fact, the notion that PADI Enriched Air can still be learned with tables is news to me. When I took my nitrox course, I wasnt told that I could choose between tables or computer based. I was simply told that the course was computer based. I even asked about tables because the amount of actual knowledge in the manual seemed really low, and also because I took my OW in the time when computers seemed more the exception than the rule. In those days I was cautioned against computers and we dived tables.

But considering my teacher, who I take on his word (he is a very serious and safe diver and we are still in touch) I think it is possible that he might have been under this impression himself. I dont know where instructors get their info on this but I wouldnt be surprised to hear that it comes from the dive center.

The good news is that they are no more difficult to use than regular tables, and if you can manage one you can manage the other. Worst case, you can d/l and reprint / reproduce them to insert to your logbook. A quick google search should get you what you need.

I have taken the basics twice. I first took them through PDIC at a college in 1989 but never went diving after that. The PDIC course was very long with a lot of test and 12 nights in the pool before we did the open water. A lot of the classroom though was theory that is probably not necessary. I took at the PADI open water course 3 years ago and while not nearly as thorough was certainly adequate. I like that PADI course erred on the side of caution. I also took the PADI AOW course that was pretty good. The one thing I have learned now that I think should be taught is having and using and independent alternate air source. The buddy system is great but next time your diving even with a great dive buddy think about how long it might take you to get his attention and get his octo. I want dive now without at least a SpareAir in shallow water and a pony bottle for anything deeper than our Texas mud holes. A lot of expense but I feel a necessary one to have and practice with.

The only other thing I can think of was not emphasized in my PADI course that was in my PDIC course was calling or aborting a dive. The PADI course didn't really emphasize that you should not hesitate to either not dive or get out of the water if something is wrong. Your buddy may be dissapointed or you may waste valuable money but don't dive when your not comfortable with situation (water, buddy, equipment) or not feeling well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom