Looking for a Cave Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepthCharge:
I took my cave down in Mexico with ProTec. I took it with Andreas Mattes (Matt). Great instructor altho I hear that now he is just teaching RB cave, only occasionally filling in on OC. Been back several times to dive with them, all the instructors that I've had the pleasure to dive with were superb.

Was it very tedious for you to arrange a trip down to mexico to dive?
How did you go about it?

Thanks

chuckrt:
I would also recommend Bill Osteeich(Bird) of Birds's diving in Crystal River Fl.. Bill is an excellent and well travelled instructor. We were also supplied with any equipment we didn't have. I would recommend also trying to get some experience with doubles before cave traing as you will have more than enough to keep tract of. If you do just intro and cave 1 you can do these with a single tank and H valve then when you do the rest yhou will need doubles. Bill also likes to eat well while giving classes and would bring a grill and usually chicken, it's amazing how many divers would come over when the food started cooking.

chuckrt

So he's the kind of instructor who provides everything?
Do you know if he conducts full cave courses? I.e cavern,intro,apprentice....
Like during the summer or something

Thanks!

furore:
Was it very tedious for you to arrange a trip down to mexico to dive?
How did you go about it?

Thanks

No, it's really simple. I booked a resort near Playa Del Carmen. ProTec picked me up at my resort and dropped me off. I brought all my own equipment (drysuit, regs, 3 lights reels etc), or they can supply what you need. I suggest that you bring your own gear as it's best to get used to it under those conditions.
You can get some really great deals on the smaller all inclusives at times.......I've booked several for 900-1100 wk pp with airfare from upstate NY included.

Almost all the cave instructors teach year round, including Bill. Look here for a list of NACD instructors. IN-# following the name means they can teach through Intro. I-# following the name means they can teach through Full Cave. The italicized in the parenthesis following the names indicate the specialties they can teach.

This is the way I chose Johnny. I e-mailed everyone within a couple of hours of High Springs about their availability. I then asked the ones that were available several questions. Johnny was as thorough in his e-mail as he is on his website...as he is in his courses. I'm sure he knows he's in demand. Just look at his training calendar - he's pretty busy the next couple of months. But he sure doesn't act like he knows it.

The advantage to training in Florida over anywhere else (for us in the US) is that you can drive there with all your gear and not have to worry about using gear you're not used to. I flew to Florida for cavern, but I've been driving since. I get to bring my own tanks, all my regs, reels, etc, and don't have to worry about airline issues. Keep in mind that airlines are limiting weight to 50 lbs to the Caribbean area, which includes the East coast of Mexico. Not a lot of room for gear.

furore:
Nope, The only overhead diving I've done is wreck diving in S.E. Asia

The reason I asked the question is because you has said in your original post that you wanted to become full cave certified. There aren't many instructors who will teach all levels in one week,the pass rate for this is low,and those that pass sometimes have difficulty assimilating skills-my suggestion would be to progress through each level of cavern thru full cave,with stops a long the way to get some experience dives. Good luck in finding an instructor,there are many good ones out there;if I might suggest start calling different ones and you'll find one that sounds good to you.

Dive-aholic:
Almost all the cave instructors teach year round, including Bill. Look here for a list of NACD instructors. IN-# following the name means they can teach through Intro. I-# following the name means they can teach through Full Cave. The italicized in the parenthesis following the names indicate the specialties they can teach.

http://www.nsscds.org/training_new/instructorlist.htm
Their nomencalture is intro= cavern and intro
cave= all levels
They have a new basic cave class which will allowing certification and diving in doubles.

DepthCharge:
No, it's really simple. I booked a resort near Playa Del Carmen. ProTec picked me up at my resort and dropped me off. I brought all my own equipment (drysuit, regs, 3 lights reels etc), or they can supply what you need. I suggest that you bring your own gear as it's best to get used to it under those conditions.
You can get some really great deals on the smaller all inclusives at times.......I've booked several for 900-1100 wk pp with airfare from upstate NY included.

Thats really gd news to me cause my family stays in manhatten haha.
So am I right to say that you just have to arrange your airfare and accomodation and protec will do the rest?

If I may ask, what is wk pp.. lol
Brain not working

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom