Looking for a Cave Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furore:
A side question, where in the US can I go diving to gain more experience diving twins with a stage? I mean in Asia you can basically go anywhere, but Michigan is right smack inland.

It sounds like that you are in the fullness of happiness. :) Great lakes are seen as a pond to you? It is seen as an ocean to me. Just our of curiosity, where did you used to dive in Asia? Did you do the trimix diving with a single tank? Where are you in Michigan?

hoosier:
It sounds like that you are in the fullness of happiness. :) Great lakes are seen as a pond to you? It is seen as an ocean to me. Just our of curiosity, where did you used to dive in Asia? Did you do the trimix diving with a single tank? Where are you in Michigan?

Haha no, I did not overlook the great lakes. Its just that I'm not sure if its a popular diving area.

I've haven't dived that much, but mostly M'sia, Indonesia and Phillipines. Or are you asking for specific islands/wrecks?

Yes I did trimix on a single tank. My experience with twins is just basic. (definately not cave standard)

I'm a freshman in Ann Arbor.

First, before you even think about getting in an overhead environment, buy the gear you're going to need for it. Start off with doubles. Then just go diving. I live in Arizona where it doesn't get much drier. I head to the local lakes 1-2 times a month. There is not much to see in them. No wrecks, very little life, not even that deep from shore, but it gets me in the water and keeps my skill level up and keeps it improving. The best experience you can get is in the first 34 feet anyway. Don't task load too much by heading combining site seeing with diving new gear. One thing at a time. And get a bunch of dives in those doubles before heading to cave country.

furore:
I see,

Are there any popular dive operators that organise wreck dives in the area? I'm very unfamiliar with the place.

Thanks!

I'm sure there are but I'm more familiar with the other side of the lake although, I do know there are several oporators that oporate up at Whitfish Bay.

you might ask over on the midwest wreck diving club site here on the board. There are charters running all over the Lakes. I'm just not familiar with all of them.

Dive-aholic:
First, before you even think about getting in an overhead environment, buy the gear you're going to need for it. .

At the risk of turning this thread into Cave diving 101, can I ask for a recommendation of gear (bc/reg) specifically suited to cave diving?

Thanks

MikeFerrara:
I'm sure there are but I'm more familiar with the other side of the lake although, I do know there are several oporators that oporate up at Whitfish Bay.

you might ask over on the midwest wreck diving club site here on the board. There are charters running all over the Lakes. I'm just not familiar with all of them.

Perfect! thanks

furore:
At the risk of turning this thread into Cave diving 101, can I ask for a recommendation of gear (bc/reg) specifically suited to cave diving?

Thanks

You'll need a back plate and wings, not a traditional bc. There are lots of brands out there. Do a search here on the Board. You'll find a variety of opinions on what's best.

The same goes for regs.

Personally, I dive FredT bp, Oxycheq dual bladder wings (cause sometimes I dive wet), Aqualung Legend regs.

Dive-aholic:
You'll need a back plate and wings, not a traditional bc.

Only for apprentice and full cave, by the way. I did cavern and intro in my open water BC with a single tank. It's not my intention to begin an argument over single tanks vs. double tanks or whatever, just pointing out that you can actually use a good amount of your open water gear with some modifications, at least to get started.

Your best bet is to find an instructor and then talk to them about gear configurations and what you'll need to buy.

Also, you won't get experience with high flow systems in Mexico. That's something you'll definitely get in Florida. Just an FYI.

Brian

Brian,

That's true. I did cavern in a single tank, also. I did have a bp/w then, though. I don't think it's a good idea to start overhead training in anything but a bp/w, and I wish I had more experience in doubles when I did intro. I just think if the goal is to go all the way through cave, then you might as well have all the gear you're going to need from the beginning.

As for the high flow systems, they are great training environments. More difficult thatn the low flow systems and something that should be experienced with a much more experienced diver first, preferably an instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom