Looking for a Cave Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you actually plan to cave dive?
If you plan to do it in Florida, I would advise you to train there as you will see high flow (unless you plan to dive Peacock only - and then you are cheating yourself).

What is your real motivation to even become cave trained? How often do you plan to go? Cave diving isn't something you get trained in and then go do maybe once a year. That isn't fair to the caves at all as your skills will be lacking - cave conservation is a huge part of cave diving. Between each level of training you need to head down and get in some actual cave diving.

As for gear brand - don't even go there. One BP/W is not more suited to cave diving than another. Dive Rite, Oxycheq, Halcyon....they are all seen in abundance down in cave country. It's a Ford - Chevy thing.

Dive-aholic:
I have to disagree with perrone. I don't have any DSS gear. In fact, I haven't seen that DSS is all that predominant. Granted, I'm only in Florida 2-3 times a year, but those are my observations.

I didn't recommend DSS because of it's popularity. If I had done that, I would have recommended Dive Rite.

Dive-aholic:
I dive a FredT bp with Oxycheq wings.

I don't see a lot of FredT stuff here either. But that doesn't make it a poor choice. I see a fair number of Oxycheq wings. That will probably increase now that Patrick is in Florida.

Dive-aholic:
I dive Aqualung Legend regs.

Fine regs. Though some are shying away now from Aqualung for other reasons. I know I am.

Dive-aholic:
I don't care about the politics.

It's nice to have this luxury! :)

furore:
Thanks perrone.

Regarding the gear you mentioned. Are your recommendations specifically geared towards cave diving? ie. gear cave divers would prefer?

No. The gear I mentioned is popular, but I don't know if there is a "preferred". That's unique to the diver.

furore:
Because I have some equipment with me now and what I'd really want to know is what constitutes and effective reg / bp/w for caving.

Yes, you need to post your equipment. And be aware that each instructor will want you to rig your gear a bit differently. Where the SPG is placed, where the light is placed, where your reels are stored, etc.

furore:
I think you're right on the cavern --> cave thing. I'm not counting on doing it in 1 week. I'm thinkin of cavern + intro one summer. and the rest in the next year, with plenty of practice in between.

Waddyall think?

I think that sounds like a reasonable plan.

Jason B:
Where do you actually plan to cave dive?
If you plan to do it in Florida, I would advise you to train there as you will see high flow (unless you plan to dive Peacock only - and then you are cheating yourself).

What is your real motivation to even become cave trained? How often do you plan to go? Cave diving isn't something you get trained in and then go do maybe once a year. That isn't fair to the caves at all as your skills will be lacking - cave conservation is a huge part of cave diving. Between each level of training you need to head down and get in some actual cave diving.

As for gear brand - don't even go there. One BP/W is not more suited to cave diving than another. Dive Rite, Oxycheq, Halcyon....they are all seen in abundance down in cave country. It's a Ford - Chevy thing.

Based on what info I've received thus far, I guess I'll have to dive in either FL or Mexico!

Motivation --> Loves diving + stuck in the US studying = Cave diving! and lots of it

Currently I've been using transplate + trek wing and Aeris A1 reg. Comments?
Is it recommended I get 2 more regs for twins + stage? Or should I just rent over there. Rental costs?

Is it true that diverite wings have to be modified for cave diving?

please enlighten

Oh yes. I don't have jet fins and I'm using atomic aquatics haha. guess thats a nono for caves right?

Dive-aholic:
I think you misunderstood Mike. I'm sure the intention was that buoyancy control must not be given thought for the first time in the cave. You need to start working on it and improving it in OW.

I have no problems with bouyancy at all actually and I'm wondering why you guys are discussing it here haha.

Cheers

It seems that you are missing a lot of the points being discussed here.

Good luck in your quest.

furore, why don't you fill out your profile and tell us a little about yourself. Where are you? What's your dive experience? Etc.

Florida and Mexico have caves, but so do a lot of other places. Jason asked where you plan to do most of your cave diving. I do mine in Florida, so I trained in Florida.

It also appears you don't have doubles at this time. If that's the case, forget about cave diving for a while. Buy yourself a set of doubles. Get the rest of the gear that goes with that and dive it for a while. After you feel comfortable in an open water environment, then come back and ask about cave diving.

PerroneFord:
I didn't recommend DSS because of it's popularity. If I had done that, I would have recommended Dive Rite.

Your statement was worded like it was.

I don't see a lot of FredT stuff here either. But that doesn't make it a poor choice. I see a fair number of Oxycheq wings. That will probably increase now that Patrick is in Florida.

Fred doesn't mark his bp's. You might recognize one by the cuts when it's sitting on the tank bench, but that's it.

Fine regs. Though some are shying away now from Aqualung for other reasons. I know I am.

It's nice to have this luxury! :)

I don't see how that's a luxury. It's a choice. I like the regs. I haven't found better. Being involved in politics is a choice. No one forces you to get involved.

Dive-aholic:
I don't see how that's a luxury. It's a choice. I like the regs. I haven't found better. Being involved in politics is a choice. No one forces you to get involved.

I guess that's true to a degree.

Dive-aholic:
furore, why don't you fill out your profile and tell us a little about yourself. Where are you? What's your dive experience? Etc.

I actually can't figure out how to access my profile.... lol.. help. There's a bit about me in the very first post on this thread.

Dive-aholic:
It also appears you don't have doubles at this time. If that's the case, forget about cave diving for a while. Buy yourself a set of doubles. Get the rest of the gear that goes with that and dive it for a while. After you feel comfortable in an open water environment, then come back and ask about cave diving.

I have to BUY my own doubles?? I do have experience in diving doubles. Is it neccessary to own your own?

thats gonna hurt my wallet ouch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom