Looking for a Cave Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furore:
I actually can't figure out how to access my profile.... lol.. help. There's a bit about me in the very first post on this thread.

Click the Quick Links button to the left of the Log Out and you'll see a bunch of edit functions you can do.

I have to BUY my own doubles?? I do have experience in diving doubles. Is it neccessary to own your own?

thats gonna hurt my wallet ouch.

You don't have to, but you'll want to. You need to maintain your proficiency in them and diving them every now and then isn't enough. I do lots of shallow (less than 30 ft) dives in my doubles in open water. Besides, you'll end up saving money in the long run.

Oh, and cave diving will hurt your wallet...but it is soooo worth it... :D

After reading through all of this, my suggestion, for what it's worth, is to come down to Florida and just take a cavern class. Don't combine it with Intro. Get a good instructor who will teach a rigorous cavern class and see what you think before you really decide if you want to continue down this path. Couple of reasons why:

1. What you learn in cavern is the foundation for everything that you learn all the way through full cave. In fact, more than that, you learn maybe 80% of the skills and techniques in the cavern class. You'll have more than enough to work on and practice after your cavern class without throwing Intro into it as well. You won't be bored just doing cavern and you'll learn a lot!

2. You can do cavern (and Intro, too, for that matter - don't want to start a debate on this!) in basically your open water gear with a single tank. Your instructor will work with you to modify your configuration a little, but it's not a huge investment in gear at the cavern level.

3. You'll get a little bit of a sense of what cave diving's like, enough hopefully for you to know if you want to continue to the next level.

4. If you DO decide to go on to Intro at some point, I think you'll REALLY appreciate having had time to practice the skills you learned in cavern in between. Having that cavern certification opens up a lot of diving opportunities, at least in N. Florida, and there are tons of cool caverns to check out and practice your skills in.

5. You'll meet people in your cavern class, and you'll meet a good instructor, and the people you meet will be good people to talk to about cavern and cave diving. The next time you come down for your Intro class you'll know some people and be a little more comfortable with the "setup" down here (where everyone gets air, where some of the different springs are, where everyone eats, blah, blah, blah) and you'll have some folks to do some tuneup dives with before you jump right into Intro. Your instructor will be a better resource for these kinds of questions in the future than this board, for sure, and hopefully you'll meet some good divers in your cavern class as well.

Well I can't think of any more reasons specifically, but I feel pretty strongly that you wouldn't regret this course of action. The caves aren't going anywhere, and cave diving classes (and cave dives, for that matter) SUCK when you're beyond where you're comfortable being. You'll be so task loaded trying to run a reel and maintain your buoyancy and use the correct finning techniques all at the same time, that you may very well NOT be comfortable heading into a cave, and that's NOT fun.

So my advice, go slow and have fun with it. Do it in N. Florida, not only for the instruction but because you'll meet people down here and it'll be more fun the next time you come down for Intro, and the next time you come down after that, and the next time you...

FWIW.

Brian

PerroneFord:
For a variety of reasons, I am going to make a STRONG suggestion that if you intend to pursue cave training in florida, you purchase DSS gear.

What are those reasons?

Brian

furore:
I have to BUY my own doubles?? I do have experience in diving doubles. Is it neccessary to own your own?

thats gonna hurt my wallet ouch.

If you are worried about the cost of a set of doubles you may wish to reconsider cave diving. it is not a cheap pastime.

brianstclair:
What are those reasons?

Brian

I've shared them privately with the OP.

PerroneFord:
I've shared them privately with the OP.

Mind PM'ing me? I'm pretty curious. You can't just throw out a statement like that and then go all cloak and dagger on us :)

Brian

You live in Gainesville. I'd suggest you purchase whatever gear you find works well for you and what gear your instructor recommends.

Who are you training with?

PerroneFord:
You live in Gainesville. I'd suggest you purchase whatever gear you find works well for you and what gear your instructor recommends.

Who are you training with?

I'm full cave certified. I have all of my gear already (well, as much as you ever have "all your gear" as a diver...) and am happy with it. You know what, forget it - it's not a big deal. I was just curious why you so strongly suggested that brand.

Brian

furore:
I have no problems with bouyancy at all actually and I'm wondering why you guys are discussing it here haha.

Cheers
We are discussing it because it is one of the most important skills in cave diving.

Let me tell you, when I started cave diving I had about 2000 dives and thought I had no problems with buoyancy. Now, nine years later, I am a cave instructor and I know I will never be finished with this particular skill, and neither will any other cave diver :11doh:

maarten

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom