Looking for a Cave Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furore

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently studying in Michigan, and I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a cave instructor where I could take a full cave course from.

I understand that there are few caves in my area and I will have to go to another state (most probably) to take the course. Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I currently have mostly experience in reef diving / wreck diving only. Likewise, I only have equipment geared towards this form of diving. However, I am trained in deep air diving, (twins, eanx, trimix).

Could someone advise me on any other pre-requisite training I need to take a Cave course? Do I also need other equipment geared towards Caving?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

I think you'll pretty much have to head to Florida (or Mexico) to get your training, though I think the NSS-CDS just approved training dives in the Missouri caves so that may be a possibility.

Additional gear...doubles w/long hose and bungee back-up, a can light and 2 back-up lights, line arrows, primary reel (400ft), safety reel (150ft), probably want a back-up safety reel/spool as well as a hand full of reels/spools for jumps and gaps.

Go to Florida. You'll get the best training there. I trained with Johnny Richards. He's a great instructor.

In addition to the gear Jason listed, you'll want a dry suit, too.

I don't mean to threadjack, but what are jumps and gaps?

minnesota01r6:
I don't mean to threadjack, but what are jumps and gaps?

in most caves in Florida, there is a main line set up already. it's gold,
so it's also called the gold line.

if there is a break in the gold line, you have to connect both sides with
a reel. that's called a gap.

if you want to leave the gold line to go explore other passages, then you
also use a reel to connect to that passage's line. that's called a jump.

the idea is to always have a continous line to the surface.

furore:
Could someone advise me on any other pre-requisite training I need to take a Cave course? Do I also need other equipment geared towards Caving?

i would second Johnny Richards. he's fantastic.

before you change or buy anything, talk to your instructor.

here's a guide from Ginnie Springs. Their gear list should guide you:

http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/learncave.htm

furore:
if someone could point me in the direction of a cave instructor where I could take a full cave course from.

Do you currently have any cave type certifications ie cavern or intro?

furore:
Hi,

I'm currently studying in Michigan, and I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a cave instructor where I could take a full cave course from.

I understand that there are few caves in my area and I will have to go to another state (most probably) to take the course. Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I currently have mostly experience in reef diving / wreck diving only. Likewise, I only have equipment geared towards this form of diving. However, I am trained in deep air diving, (twins, eanx, trimix).

Thanks in advance for any guidance

I took my cave down in Mexico with ProTec. I took it with Andreas Mattes (Matt). Great instructor altho I hear that now he is just teaching RB cave, only occasionally filling in on OC. Been back several times to dive with them, all the instructors that I've had the pleasure to dive with were superb.

I would also recommend Bill Osteeich(Bird) of Birds's diving in Crystal River Fl.. Bill is an excellent and well travelled instructor. We were also supplied with any equipment we didn't have. I would recommend also trying to get some experience with doubles before cave traing as you will have more than enough to keep tract of. If you do just intro and cave 1 you can do these with a single tank and H valve then when you do the rest yhou will need doubles. Bill also likes to eat well while giving classes and would bring a grill and usually chicken, it's amazing how many divers would come over when the food started cooking.

chuckrt

Yeah, you pretty much have to go to either Missouri/Flordia/Mexico. I would recommend Johnny Richards, he is an excellent instructor. Here is his website

http://www.cavediving.com

It explains locations, training requirements, gear requirments, and training progression in the cave diving world. Good luck in the new chapter in your diving.

I'll 4th Johnny Richards! :D
Great instructor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom