Looking for a good Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the smartCOM from scubapro its expensive but its got everything on it youll ever need for rec-diving

So far I think I kinda like the Oceanic Atom 2.0.

It's a little more expensive than the VT3, but for how much more it costs, it's transmitter is exactly that much less than the VT3's transmitter, so if you go AI wireless for either one they end up costing the same amount. The Atom is advertised as having the latest ver 3 firmware.

The Suunto Vyper seems pretty nice too but I'd probably want to go with the Vyper 2 and I guess that could be another couple months.

I think my other option would be to go with the XR2 wrist mount and maybe do the XS 3 guage spg.

Is second the Aeris Atmos 2. They are being discontuned and you can still find a few cheap. Scuba Toys has a couple. I just bought my second on as a backup

Ok - seems everyone has their fav computer / set up.
Mine - wrist computer / watch. Use it as a watch during surface time. I'm a big fan of keeping things simple - I just don't like the idea of AI - another thing to fail. Not that I've seen many fail - perhaps 2 over the past 6 years. The readout is plenty big enough for DC times BUT I'm not so sure about the compass being part of the set up - as it is in the D9.

although people knock sunnto ( maybe not the best deco model around) I'm a fan. I've had my mosquito 6 years, taught pretty much every day using it. diverite make a nice cheap computer too - never used it though.

It looks a bit plasticy but it lasts, and lasts and lasts, and does not draw attention ot itself. Unfortunatly most dive areas are also areas of extream poverty.....work out the rest.....

A must for me is the ability to change the battery myself - you can do this with the mosquito. The only fault I've found is on some of the older models there was a tendancy for the battery to monmentarily loose conact during a dive - hence you lost the current dive info. There is an easy fix to this and the later models have addressed this.

I don't like too many instruments in one place so I wouldn't go for a compass as part of the computer. Besides ( for a wrist computer) the compass reading is really too small - OK too small for ME !! :) I've got a compass as part of my spg group but if I were to buy again I'd get one and attach it to my BCD - perhaps locate it inside a pocket on a lanyard. It's a vital bit of kit, so it needs to be big and bright and easy to get hold of.

That's just my kit - I'm happy with it and have been for a good few years BUT everyone is different...go with your instinct and get something that you personally like.

The Sunnto Vper II is vapor ware right now, Go with the Vytec DS or VT3. You have a 3 gas computer wrist mount and you can go with a backup analog SPG if you want to. (Safe Practice) I'll take a hit or two for that one. If you want downloadable and mountable compass, go cobra console IMHO. Bottom line do your research, check for recalls and buy what you like and can afford. If your local shop won't talk to you talk to everyone else. Opinions vary. Check scuba diving magazine, the did a computer layout in march 2006. It's a good place to start!

Blue Kangaroo:
Ok - seems everyone has their fav computer / set up.
Mine - wrist computer / watch. Use it as a watch during surface time. I'm a big fan of keeping things simple - I just don't like the idea of AI - another thing to fail. Not that I've seen many fail - perhaps 2 over the past 6 years. The readout is plenty big enough for DC times BUT I'm not so sure about the compass being part of the set up - as it is in the D9.

although people knock sunnto ( maybe not the best deco model around) I'm a fan. I've had my mosquito 6 years, taught pretty much every day using it. diverite make a nice cheap computer too - never used it though.

It looks a bit plasticy but it lasts, and lasts and lasts, and does not draw attention ot itself. Unfortunatly most dive areas are also areas of extream poverty.....work out the rest.....

A must for me is the ability to change the battery myself - you can do this with the mosquito. The only fault I've found is on some of the older models there was a tendancy for the battery to monmentarily loose conact during a dive - hence you lost the current dive info. There is an easy fix to this and the later models have addressed this.

I don't like too many instruments in one place so I wouldn't go for a compass as part of the computer. Besides ( for a wrist computer) the compass reading is really too small - OK too small for ME !! :) I've got a compass as part of my spg group but if I were to buy again I'd get one and attach it to my BCD - perhaps locate it inside a pocket on a lanyard. It's a vital bit of kit, so it needs to be big and bright and easy to get hold of.

That's just my kit - I'm happy with it and have been for a good few years BUT everyone is different...go with your instinct and get something that you personally like.

What he asid and you can do it all for $210 to your house with the Atmos 2. Although I never changed the battery I heard it is not very difficult and they give you the tool.

Why has nobody mentioned the Uwatecs? The smart series. The Tec and the Z are the top of the line.

Well I stopped at one shop earlier today to ask about the Vytec DS. They didn't have it in stock and quoated me $1299 with transmitter. Seemed steep. I'll have to check around with some other places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom