Looking for a good Kauai Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only heard good things about Aquatic Adventures... they seem like a friendly bunch, too!

No question about it, they are good and quite friendly!:D

The tunnels are an easy dive and you can rent tanks to do it yourself from shore with very little trouble..

Under ideal conditions Tunnels is benign, however under less than ideal conditions this may not be the case. Currents there can really rip and make it very difficult to get back to the inner reef (IMO getting back on land after a dive is a good thing). In those times you need an knowledgable local guide that knows how to use the tunnels to your advantage so you can avoid the current. In addition the tunnel system is pretty complex and to get the most from them takes local experience, not to mention some tunnels narrow down too small for a diver or are in fact dead end caves. Without a guide you could find yourself in a dangerous situation pretty quickly. More than worth the $$ to hire an experienced team like Aquatic Adventures so you have a safe, enjoyable trip through a fascinating site.

I was there last April and did a trip with SeaSport - nice people, Zack is very knowledgeable and personable - and they are photo friendly. If you're thinking of diving Tunnels - and I would if at all possible - just beyond Hanalei Bay, you have to get lucky with winter conditions, and be advised there are no air fills or dive shops on the north side in the winter, so far as I could determine. Don't know exactly when the seasonal transition in weather and service occurs. Go early to Tunnels and you should get good opportunities for reef shark photos.

Aloha, David.

Exactly when in Nov. you are coming to Kauai (if we haven't already missed you) will impact your diving options/experience. We've got some pretty big swells rolling in on the north side of the island so Tunnels is pretty much out, as is Niihau. If there is a chance for Niihau, call Bubbles Below as I think they are the only company going out there on a case-by-case basis at this point.

The south side has been experiencing some smaller swell action these past few days, which will last probably until Thursday-ish of this coming week and then all should be nice and quiet and flat for the weeks to follow. So if you are diving this week, plan on the south shore of Kauai but expect a bit lower viz and some movement under the water. Doesn't mean you can't have a great dive, just maybe not as "picture perfect". If you are diving the week before and the week of Thanksgiving, it should be back to beautiful! Of course, Mother Nature has the final say, so we never know for sure until the day before diving.

If you are up for an easy - but not boring - shore dive, stop by Aquatic Adventures and we'll get you set up. We're right in Poipu, underneath the Poipu Beach Broiler Restaurant (best fish & chips on the island, IMO). As Dave and Jim have previously reported, Koloa Landing is a fantastic, critter-intensive dive and we'd love an opportunity to show it off to you. :O)

If we don't see you, good luck with your diving!

Thanks for the replies everybody! All of this has been very helpful. I'd dove Tunnels on a previous trip to the north shore but this time of year we're probably going to be staying mostly on the south side of the island. I have reservation with Bubbles Below for a boat dive but based on the positive responses I may try to book some additional dives with Aquatic Adventures and Fathom Five.

Thanks again.
David

We dove Kauai last month. Did one morning at Koloa landing with Aquatic Adventures. Highly recommend them. Mike was our DM and found tons of critters. Some people say that you don't need any assistance for Koloa--maybe so, but we wouldn't have know where to look for all the coolest dragon eels, lionfish (red and green), leaf scorpionfish, etc. Dove another morning with Fathom Five. Another great operation. We dove from their "small" boat and had no problem with the set up. They try very hard to separate divers by experience level. If you are diving nitrox make sure to re-confirm it with them so they have enough tanks. Loved both General Store and Three Fingers. If I lived on Kauai I could see diving those sites over and over. Enjoy your trip.

Here is a link to my Kauai pictures (below and above water):
Kauai 2008 - a set on Flickr

My wife and I are going there in December. My wife isn't a diver, but she's willing to snorkel. We'd like to be able to do things together..so what is a couple supposed to do?
Long story short, we called Aquatic Adventures and they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly (ask for Leah). They've set it up so that both my wife and I will get to do our thing. I'd way recommend them.

__Birm

Koloa Landing is a great place to get in the water and get good pics. I dove there yesterday with Shawn from Aquactic Adventures. We saw 3 Dragon eels....awsome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom