Looking for a good waterproof camera (no housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtamborra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent waterproof camera but cannot seem to find any that are all around good. I need this for snorkeling and am not doing any deep diving or anything like that, at the most I might free drive 15-20 feet or so while snorkeling

I posted this in the snorkel boards and was directed here. I'd like something I can take 15-20 feet down without some huge ugly casing covering it

The cameras I have been looking at are the :

Olympus Stylus (tough) 6000 & 8000

Cannon D10

Pentax Optio W80

Someone gave me this review article to look at

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

and from that review article it looks like all the cameras reviewed got slammed

I definately do not want a cannon, their customer support has been horrible from my experience with them and plus they don't cover water damage (even on waterproof cameras!)

So I simply am looking for a compact, responisive, reliable, waterproof digital camera that I can take atleast to 15 feet

Thank you for reading, been researching for weeks and have been turning up short

It's probably overkill but there's both Sea&Sea and SeaLife. Possibly the SeaLife Mini might work.

I also see postings here about Intova but have no experience with them. Most seem less than favorable. But they're certainly inexpensive - especially on eBay.

Last edited:
Although DPReview didn't like the T8000 too well, it and the T6000 have been very popular and take nice shots. Easy to use s/w and great build quality and support. Upgradable to a dive camera with the addition of the PT-045 and PT-047.

Jack

I'd go with the Olympus - I have it and really like it.. I have tried the sea life and it was too much of an underwater camera.

I will vouch for the Olympus (mine is the 1030SW - tough is next level up I think) - I love my little camera and it works great under and above. It can go 30ft under. Not too big as well.

Back
Top Bottom