Looking for a narrow beam metal reflector (50 mm diameter) for HID bulbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark1982

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm building a homemade 50W HID diving torch.
:cool2:

I'm going to ultimate the torch :lightbulb:, but I've troubles with the reflector...
I've got a wide beam reflector, but I need a narrow one...

So, I'm desperately looking for a good metal / aluminium reflector for a 50W HID bulb.

Do You know if there is a spare part from branded torches I can use?

The maximum diameter of the reflector must be 50 mm.

The hole placed at the reflector base (where I will insert the HID bulb) would be 12 mm.

The whole height of the reflector must be less than 39 mm.

The reflector has to produce a narrow beam (8°) and it would try to recover the lost light in order to maximize the narrow beam...

At last, something about the fixed "focus" of the reflector...
I have to put the reflector in contact with the torch glass.
The light source (hid gas ampoule) has to be placed at 20 mm from the glass...
So the reflector mus not be too short in its height, but it have to be a proper height in order to obtain a powerful luminous flux...

Hope You can help me,
regards,
Marco

I don't think you'll find anything in 50mm. That's about Maglite size. Usually the super spot reflectors used on HID lights are the 3" ones (I think).
You can try electroformed products to see what they have but that extra surface area from 3" to 50mm may make a huge difference in beam pattern.

I assume you are not building a test tube light?

Hi,
thanks for Your reply...

You've guessed it: I've just finished a HID torch (canister + head).
Obviously I don't use a Maglite torch, but I've ordered a customized canister and head from a torch manufacturer (who has test them at 15 bar pressure)...
I've been involved in this project for 2 years, most of all because HID means high voltage and I've decided to be a bit conservative, making some floodig trests and avoiding to be shocked by the torch when it could be flooded!

The reflector I've used so far does not satisfy me at all...
I've touhgt at 10W HID Halcyon... but I don't know...

I'll try to find out something...
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom