Looking for a new tray and arms for my Canon WP-DC34 / G12, possibly Ikelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splash-X

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had a Sea & Sea YS-27DX Strobe and arm set for quite some time. I'm on my third camera and the setup is still working. I've been complaining about my setup for some time and my wife saw the Inon W54 cap set on my Amazon wish list and bought it for my birthday:

ino.cap.54.jpg

With my flash wiring cleaned up that has led me to try to address my other issue, I HATE MY TRAY/ARM, it's just so difficult to work with and right now I have no where to put my focus light

SSSA7C.jpg

I have been looking at getting an Ikelite Dual or Single tray like the following and building on from there but I'm a bit lost.
IK952362.jpg

I've looked at all the major sites and they all seem to have the same generic product description. (Ikelite Tray with Dual Release Handle For Digital Camera Housings and Strobes) They all seem to indicate that this type of tray will work with the stock Canon housings but then they go on to note:

"These trays with handle(s) are only compatible with Ikelite housings featuring 3" (76mm) spacing between mounting points. Some housings with male threaded tray mounting bolts on the bottom may require 9523.09 Tray Spacer, sold separately."

This leaves me a bit confused. Will the tray require any additional hardware to mount my housing to it? I notice there appears to be a hole in the center that may or may not attach to the tripod mount on my housing but it isn't clear if that is the purpose of the hole, and if so, what is used to secure it to the base. My Sea & Sea arms have the threaded bolt built in to the tray.

From there I would like a flex arm that will get my up to my strobe. I also have a small Fantasea Nano Focus Light that I would like to either mount on the same arm as the strobe or place it in top of the other handle. The light and bracket that came with it are as follows:
FNTNFL.jpg6829382.jpg

Now, the Ikelite site has proven very difficult for me to find what I need to build out the arm setup (Strobe Arm Systems). I can't see what the top of the dual release grips on the tray are so I can't picture what goes where.

I'm not set on the particular tray but I (think) I like the design. Maybe the single handle would work better (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/IK952361.html)? Or maybe a different style of tray without a grip and just a longer flex arm (Ikelite Extended AF35 Dual Tray with Flex Arm Mount for Pro-V8)?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

I bought my tray and arms from Backscatter. They put together a package of handle, 2 arms, and a tray from Ultralight for me that is lightweight and easy to use in the water. I'm very happy with it, and the whole kit wasn't all that expensive.

FFigawi,

Can you take a photo of the setup if it isn't much trouble? Did you just send them an email to get things started?

Thanks

I have a used ULCS digital tray and single handle I'd be willing to part with. I used it for my A570is and my G11. It's easy to add a second handle if that's what you're looking for too.

I'll take a picture of everything all set up this weekend.

Here's a picture of my setup. The only thing that's not shown is the Sea&Sea strobe that attaches at the end of the arms. Hope this helps you decide what to get.

IMG_0646.jpg

There is a solution from ulcs to have a focus light on top of the handle but requires you to have ball arms not loc line using standard parts.
However if you get the ulcs tray and one handle without ball together with the focus light kit you can the build your own 3/4" locline arm. You need a 3/4 base with a 1/4 20 tip screw and 12 3/4" segments and finally a locline to YS mount adapter
You can buy all those parts from reef photo or other shop

FFigawi, thanks for the pictures. What size arms are those?

Interceptor121, thanks for the info, I'll have to start looking at that. I was considering getting the ulcs 2-way clamp and then a YS mount adapter and using that on the handle ball to attach both the focus light and the arm (with a ulcs tray and handle of course). Will that work?

There are strobes with an incorporated focus light like the YS-01 I have but in reality you never aim the strobe directly at the subject which is what would happen with your triple clamp solution.
What I was talking about is the ULCS AC-SPL you can see it here If You Own a Digital Still Housing
As I said before it is not mandatory to have ball and clamp you can still attach a 3/4 locline arm if you are short of cash
Obviously the ball arms are better but with your DX-27 you can realistically only do close up work so two 5" segments are all you need

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom