Looking for a starter DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetdriver69

Registered
Reaction score
Since Im giving up on a DIY DPV project, does anyone have a decent used Mako or similar model for sale?

OK if the battery needs replaced.

I have a trip to Punta Mita the end of Nov, so would like to acquire fairly quickly.

I will only use it snorkeling so a super expensive pro model good for 200 ft is not necessary.

Thanks

I have a scubapro sea scooter ....pm me

You can buy a Silent Submersion UV 26/18 for around 1k. Gavin's are cheaper than that. I wouldn't waste my money on the ow style scooters as there isn't a real $$ difference

You can buy a Silent Submersion UV 26/18 for around 1k. Gavin's are cheaper than that. I wouldn't waste my money on the ow style scooters as there isn't a real $$ difference

He didn't put it in the first post in this thread, it was in the other one on home-building one, but one of his requirements is that it be transportable by normal checked bag.

I know my UV-18 is too big for a normal checked bag size-wise.

Maybe a used Mako.

Yes looking for one, but not easily found.

Seems there are 3 for sale from a dive shop in Tampa. $750 each with upgrades.

Is is realistically possible to buy one for $500?

Those three are sold. Yes they come up for 500$ fairly regularly in Florida (mostly) I keep an eye on them on craigslist and see maybe one every two months. Rough numbers of course.

You could go with a Gavin (or any similar and cut down the body tube for checked bag size as well.

I do want to build a dpv and there are nice ones online to gain inspiration from... But it is hard to beat the used gear market.

Those three are sold. Yes they come up for 500$ fairly regularly in Florida (mostly) I keep an eye on them on craigslist and see maybe one every two months. Rough numbers of course.

You could go with a Gavin (or any similar and cut down the body tube for checked bag size as well.

I do want to build a dpv and there are nice ones online to gain inspiration from... But it is hard to beat the used gear market.

Yes, by the time I added up the cost of the motors, batteries, wiring and switching, plastic sheets, new band saw, router, etc., I can buy a good used one.

With the DIY plans, there is always the problem of leakage within the body. I deal with a pressurized vessel every time I go to work, so I dont want to deal with it underwater with a homemade version.

Just hopefully I don't get ripped off buying an undisclosed POS.

Yes, very easily possible to buy for $500. Doesn't mean you'll find one today or this week. But have you posted on CDF like I said in the other thread?

Yes, by the time I added up the cost of the motors, batteries, wiring and switching, plastic sheets, new band saw, router, etc., I can buy a good used one.

With the DIY plans, there is always the problem of leakage within the body. I deal with a pressurized vessel every time I go to work, so I dont want to deal with it underwater with a homemade version.

Just hopefully I don't get ripped off buying an undisclosed POS.

Where are you located?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom