Looking for advice for Micronesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats a very BIG subject. You will get more replies by asking more specific questions

I have some trip reports on my blog for a start

Jack

I am looking to get your adivice and experience in diving Micronesia. Thanks.

you should post this message down on the Pacific Islands Forum. Lots of information there including my trip report from Palau last month.

Hi,

I live in Micronesia and have visited most of the islands. Do you have specific questions you would like answered? Specific types of diving you are looking for?

Cheers,
Katrina

For a diving trip to Mirconesia I would highly recommend Palau. You really have i guess 3 main places for diving in Mirconesia
-Truk lagoon: nothing but wrecks... wrecks... wrecks...
-Yap: Mantas & more mantas
-Palau: EVERYTHING! Wrecks, Reef, Walls, Cave, Tunnels, mantas... Jelyfish lake to snorkel w/ the stingless jellies! It's awesome!!

Kosrae is okay... but definitely more varity in Palau! check out Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia, Island Hopping and dive travels they can do it all!!

Palau or Yap either one are nice, you will not be dissapointed with either!

Contact Caradonna Dive & Travel (800-328-2288) for package prices including airfare. They work with several operations in both locations and can help you with it all.

If I had to choose I would do Palau first, maybe stay at Cliffsides or Palau Pacific and dive with Neco Marine...

Any more questions, let me know!

Rob
Underwater Adventures

We just came back from a trip to Yap (1-week) & Palau (1-week). Both are great destinations - but if I had to just choose one, I would have to agree that Palau is the better location. There is certainly more variety in the diving and more fish life in general at Palau. We had a great experience with Sam's Tours in Palau and highly recommend them.
However it is Manta mating season for the next couiple of months in Yap, so there is a chance to see large chains of Manta's. If you do decide to go to Yap, be sure to check the tide charts. This time of year the mantas are in M'il channel. The channel is highly subject to tides to keep the visibility reasonable. You want to go when there is the greatest difference between high and low tides (typically around Full or new moons).

We just came back from a trip to Yap (1-week) & Palau (1-week). Both are great destinations - but if I had to just choose one, I would have to agree that Palau is the better location. There is certainly more variety in the diving and more fish life in general at Palau. We had a great experience with Sam's Tours in Palau and highly recommend them.
However it is Manta mating season for the next couiple of months in Yap, so there is a chance to see large chains of Manta's. If you do decide to go to Yap, be sure to check the tide charts. This time of year the mantas are in M'il channel. The channel is highly subject to tides to keep the visibility reasonable. You want to go when there is the greatest difference between high and low tides (typically around Full or new moons).

I'm still not sure which one of the 2 locations I'll go to since they both seem great. Did you go on a live-aboard, or if not what hotel(s) did you stay at in Yap?
Any hotels or dive operators to stay away from? (or recommend in Yap since you already recommended Sam's Tours in Palau).

Thanks.

Michael

In Yap we stayed at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel & dove with Yap Divers (which is associated with the hotel). We had great experiences with both. The service was great, and the restaurant serves great-tasting food. Their website is www.mantaray.com.
Since I did not stay or dive with any other company, I can't comment too much on others. I know that there is another major dive operator/hotel, which is Trader's Ridge. My understading is that this is a more expensive option - mainly the hotel is supposed to be more upscale. But I was very pleased with our choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom