Looking for dive spots Upstate NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm reposting this here because it was suggested I might have a better responce in this area.

I'm traveling to NY, Minetto to be exact for a visit with my Dad and while there I'd like to do some diving.

So, what all would you suggest? I won't have a buddy of course and I'll need to either dive in a boat that's normally going out with divers or find a buddy to dive with. So far it seems most shops don't dive this time of year and I'm not hopeful I'll get those dives in.

Temps won't matter to me because I'll have my drysuit with me and I'd like to keep it above 100 feet, I typically get pretty narc'd below that and don't enjoy the risk.

Hi Matthew!

Well, considering Minetto's proximity to Oswego and Lake Ontario, you can try here:

http://www.co.oswego.ny.us/tourism/recreation/scuba.html

There are a few links to some scuba shops there.

In all honesty, most of us LED-HEDs (unofficial nickname) dive Lake Ontario (both sides), St. Lawrence Seaway, and Dutch Springs, PA.

Most of us are from the Rochester area, but I grew up in Syracuse and head that way quite a bit during the warmer weather.

Let us know when you're going to be there, it will make it easier to possibly coordinate something.

Also, if you are in need of a buddy in MO, there is a board member here in Parkville. It's about 2-2.5 hours away, but he's a good guy. I can give you his information if you'd like. PM me if interested.

Derek

There's a really easy, cool wreck dive (The Islander) on the St. Lawrence, directly behind the hospital in Alexandria Bay. It's about 40' off shore and about 40' - 60' down.

Not sure if Mo Hunt (Hunt's Dive Shop) has his Landing Craft (oops, dive boat) in the water yet, but if he does, the Keystorm is also near there, and is an amazingly cool dive. You could dive it all day and still not see the whole thing.

The water is 47 degrees right now and it's a really nice dive.

Hunt's dive shop and the Islander are both about 45 minutes from Minetto.

Terry

cummings66:
I'm reposting this here because it was suggested I might have a better responce in this area.

I'm traveling to NY, Minetto to be exact for a visit with my Dad and while there I'd like to do some diving.

So, what all would you suggest? I won't have a buddy of course and I'll need to either dive in a boat that's normally going out with divers or find a buddy to dive with. So far it seems most shops don't dive this time of year and I'm not hopeful I'll get those dives in.

Temps won't matter to me because I'll have my drysuit with me and I'd like to keep it above 100 feet, I typically get pretty narc'd below that and don't enjoy the risk.

Web Monkey:
There's a really easy, cool wreck dive (The Islander) on the St. Lawrence, directly behind the hospital in Alexandria Bay.

Not sure if Mo Hunt (Hunt's Dive Shop) has his Landing Craft (oops, dive boat) in the water yet, but if he does, the Keystorm is also near there, and is an amazingly cool dive. You could dive it all day and still not see the whole thing.

The water is 47 degrees right now and it's a really nice dive.

Hunt's dive shop and the Islander are both about 45 minutes from Minetto.

Terry

Thanks for the assist Terry, I completely forgot about the Islander and Keystorm. :14:

Drop me an email before you get there. If it's over a weekend, I might be able to take a run up there and dive with you.

Terry

cummings66:

Thanks for the links and advice guys. It doesn't look like I'll be diving because I can't possibly get there during a weekend in good enough shape to dive and from what I can find out from here not many dive during the week. At least that's what the shops have been telling me. I forgot to mention I'm leaving Mo for NY tonight, or maybe 4 am Saturday. It's about an 18 hour drive with stops.

I've called lots of shops and it seems that you guys get a later start on diving compared to what we do around here, i.e. many boats aren't even in the water yet. Of course I suspect there's a real good reason for that, but it's been 25 years since I've lived there, born in Fulton NY for what it's worth, and I don't remember a lot about the state other than it's scenic and offers variety.

I flew over it last year in my plane and I've got to say the waters looked good to me then as well, better than our flat land and water at any rate.

As it stands right now I think I'll be there late Sunday and I'll catch some sleep then figure out some stuff for Monday - Thursday. I know one thing for certain, I'll be stopping at Rudy's for fish.

Again thanks for the help and pointers.

Thanks, since today is most likely the last day I'll have internet access I'll let you know how it went when I return. Today I'm in Erie PA and will finish my drive.

Again, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom