Looking for excellent instructor in southern Cal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro. They are located in San Pedro - not too far from Marina Del Rey.

You can get contact info here: Pacific Wilderness

I would recommend you ask for Seann Bogguess for your O/W. He's a great instructor, and will get you off to a good start. He wouldn't have any problems if you brought your own gear to class. He dives with a Halcyon set-up, so it shouldn't be an issue.

- David

treidm:
Staying around the Marina Del Ray area, would travel if not to far. Looking for recommendations on Dive instructors, and the LDS they are at, in the area.
OW to start, but plan on tech, down the road.

Will any instructors have a problem if OW taken with BP/W?

dgallo:
I would recommend Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro. They are located in San Pedro - not too far from Marina Del Rey.

I would recommend you ask for Seann Bogguess for your O/W. He's a great instructor, and will get you off to a good start. He wouldn't have any problems if you brought your own gear to class. He dives with a Halcyon set-up, so it shouldn't be an issue.

- David
Fred Colbrun, Jeff Smith and Don Bunch also dive bp/wing at Pacific Wilderness.

Correct. Although I don't think that Jeff holds Instructor certification.

Fred does teach most of the advanced tech-oriented classes, and can certainly start you down the road to becoming a tech diver.

- David

MaxBottomtime:
Fred Colbrun, Jeff Smith and Don Bunch also dive bp/wing at Pacific Wilderness.

dgallo:

- David

Excellent advice.

I would like to kindly remind that personal attacks and slamming are not allowed by the SB Terms of Service.
As it hapenned I had to do some cleaning here.
OTH I wish I could live somewhere closer to SoCal - seems you guys have a lot of interesting instructors there.
Mania

mania:
I would like to kindly remind that personal attacks and slamming are not allowed by the SB Terms of Service.
As it hapenned I had to do some cleaning here.
OTH I wish I could live somewhere closer to SoCal - seems you guys have a lot of interesting instructors there.
Mania

The real estate is really expensive, the traffic is really bad, there is a lot of crime, there are neighborhoods where you dare not go into, the air is smokey, the taxes are really high, and the economy is still in somewhat of a recession so it is hard to find jobs. So it is not all roses.

But you cannot beat a good day on the beach. :)

There are alot of good LDS close to Marina Del Rey. Scuba Toys in Cypress is good, but a bit of a drive, at least 45 minutes or better in 'Good' traffic.

I personally would rec Reefseekers. They have instruction in both PADI and NAUI. I know that one of thier instructors uses a BWP. Several of their instructors have been teaching for many years including IDC. Check out their website: http://www.Reefseekers.com

There is also Ocean Adventures and Hollywood Divers.

Best of luck!

dgallo:
Agreed. I've dived with Seann and he's great. I have not dived with Fred or Don but they're also smart, good guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom