Looking for experienced opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm finally biting the bullet and dumping my old camera for a new digital. I'm looking for a camera that works well in and out of the water. Any suggestions on cameras and housings?

Frankly I'd like to join this question. I am a highly experienced underwater photographer, but an “old timer.” I know almost nothing about digital cameras (except that I don’t like the lag in the rangefinder Nikon my mom gave made so that I’d e-mail her pics of the boy).

I’m used to the “best” in film and have several cases of Nikon AI adapted/compatible lenses. Price is not the problem (a consideration but not an overriding concern). What should I get in the way of camera body, lenses, housing and strobe(s)?

Wow.........some loaded questions there.I would try digitaldiver.net and do a search.There have been many discussions about this very question.It is all subjective anyway.Your choices are point and shoot...which have drawbacks ,such as shutter lag and not all allow manual shooting OR DSLR which can get pricey but give you complete control.I have a Nikon D-50 housed in an Ike housing with DS-125 strobes and also an Olympus Evolt-330 housed in an Ike housing and a DS-125 strobe and a Sea & SEa DX-8000G Point and shoot with a DS-50 strobe.With the nikon and Oly I usually use a 60/50 MM macro lens which is a good macro and portrait lens.They all serve a purpose.The new Olympus E-330 has live view which the Nikon doesn't.Those are my choices ,they are right for me not for everyone.

I used to shoot film in a Nikonos V and also a Miolta SLR housed in an Ike housing .

Thal if if were not for digital, I would not be taking photos underwater. A D200 with an Aquatica housing and ports along with a couple of good strobes (lots to choose from) would serve you well for a long time. The lenses you have now may well be compatible.

I'm a relative newbie at underwater photography, but I have a Fuji E-900 Finepix with an Ikelite housing, and I love it!!!

Easy to use, compact, takes great photos (9 mega-pixel), easy to download, yadda, yadda, yadda . . . .

I'm taking some great shots without even trying hard.

an_1.jpg

the K

Actually, I didn't buy the setup, I won it!

But anyway, if I'd purchased it, I would have only about $600 in it.

the K

Diver Dennis:
Thal if if were not for digital, I would not be taking photos underwater. A D200 with an Aquatica housing and ports along with a couple of good strobes (lots to choose from) would serve you well for a long time. The lenses you have now may well be compatible.
OK, I get a D200 for about $800 and I can use the really fine glass that I already have. My favorite underwater lenses are my 15, 20 and 85. I also have a bunch of zoom lenses but the specs on the new 18-200 blow me away. Can it be used effectively in a housing? If so that’s $1,600 for body and lens, which housing and strobes (TTL can be nice but is not essential). I currently use E.O. connectors, are they still available or is there something better?

Thalassamania:
OK, I get a D200 for about $800 and I can use the really fine glass that I already have. My favorite underwater lenses are my 15, 20 and 85. I also have a bunch of zoom lenses but the specs on the new 18-200 blow me away. Can it be used effectively in a housing? If so that’s $1,600 for body and lens, which housing and strobes (TTL can be nice but is not essential). I currently use E.O. connectors, are they still available or is there something better?

If you have older nikon lenses, the mount will be the same but they may not necessarily be fully compatible with the new digital bodies like the D200. But if they work enough, I don't see why you couldn't use them. You may have to rely entirely on manual focus, though. As for the 18-200, or any lens for that matter, you can use it in a housing as long as you can find a proper port for it, which really can be the difficult part. Other than macro, I cannot imagine what you would use the long end of that 18-200 for, and as long as it can do macro at that.

Back
Top Bottom