Looking for experts on FL diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably just a vicious rumor but heard that last hurricane (the one a week or two ago) did some damage to the Oriskany (more or less removing the recreational part of the dive site). Probably just rumors though.

Probably just a vicious rumor but heard that last hurricane (the one a week or two ago) did some damage to the Oriskany (more or less removing the recreational part of the dive site). Probably just rumors though.
Hope that is not true. Have not made it there, that would do it for me

There’s still plenty to see...just need to get on the right gas.

Can’t wait to dive the Oriskany, a big ‘ol girl. It’s a six minute DPV drive at cruise speed from stem to stern.

I started to plan a trip in December but I think the weather is too unpredictable so in April I intend to be doing a lap or two around the ‘ol girl before taking some limited peeks inside.

I never understood the "mystique" of Blue Heron Bridge either.

Ha! I call it the Vortex of the south.

A lifetime ago I did UW bridge inspection for FDOT. Had About 407 bridges on district IV from Broward to 5 counties north. BHB as well as a hand full more were a nice break from the mostly crappy ones in the rest of the district but suddenly people started going there on purpose... For real the dive there without getting paid? I was shocked, the Ocean is spitting distance, oh well people are just weird.
Then started working for the Navy in Panama City Beach... Few years in I find out we live about 30minutes from Vortex , really? And my husband never bothered to mentioned WTF I wanna go there!!
I've read so much about the place ... I should have interpreted my husband look a bit better... Of course we went the following free day.
Agrrrrr what a HUGE let down... It is a flooded hole in the ground with a pipe covered by an old rug. I'm sure there's some sort of active spring somewhere in there but felt like dead water filled with elbows, plenty of color coordinated "teams" of divers walking around way to synchronized to be normal... You'd think they were going to break into some sort of coregraphy. Funny ina pathetic way.

Now I understand places like Gilboa... Never been there I imagine is a deeper hole in the ground that will do nothing for me... But if I live in a vowel state I'm sure I'd be grateful to places like that but in Florida? Get t'hell outta here...Atlantic Ocean - Gulf of Mexico.... Even the holes of central Florida have more personality if you don't want the salty liquid.

But then again, the more people in BHB the less elbows in the ocean... When is the next correct tide? 3:40am? nice set the alarm, enjoy it!!
Seriously those places have a lot of advantages but let's keep some level of perspective. they are just ok , like other's mentioned making a specific trip for that is not reasonable in my mind. Other minds think different as it should be.

Go forth and dive where and how you like!

A lifetime ago I did UW bridge inspection for FDOT. Had About 407 bridges on district IV
Seriously those places have a lot of advantages but let's keep some level of perspective. they are just ok , like other's mentioned making a specific trip for that is not reasonable in my mind. Other minds think different as it should be.

Go forth and dive where and how you like!

Exactly...a lot of divers...myself included...have to drive 2+ hours just to be able to dive in a glorified swimming pool (quarry). There’s one local quarry I’ve been to a few times that with the exception of my dive buddy... I’ve literally not seen another living thing in that body of water.

Someone in my boat is going to be blown away by the color and variety of critters that are found at BHB when they’re used to seeing (if they’re lucky) nothing but bass and bluegill.

People that whine about places like BHB, LBTS, etc. are spoiled. “BHB sucks...I’ll just go dive at Jupiter, WPB, Pompano Beach, etc. instead.” :-|

Exactly...a lot of divers...myself included...have to drive 2+ hours just to be able to dive in a glorified swimming pool (quarry). There’s one local quarry I’ve been to a few times that with the exception of my dive buddy... I’ve literally not seen another living thing in that body of water.

Someone in my boat is going to be blown away by the color and variety of critters that are found at BHB when they’re used to seeing (if they’re lucky) nothing but bass and bluegill.

People that whine about places like BHB, LBTS, etc. are spoiled. “BHB sucks...I’ll just go dive at Jupiter, WPB, Pompano Beach, etc. instead.” :-|

Exactly!!!! I cut my teeth paying $15-$20 to dive a cold, murky quarry to see wet rocks and maybe a bluegill or bass or three. I did that for a decade before moving to SFL. A site like BHB blows me away. I can handle low viz without any issue thanks to my Midwest diving background but to see so much life, so much variety, so much color at a site that is FREE. I just find that insane. So yes, it is very easy to get spoiled diving in SFL that is for sure!

Well yeah ... Of course we are spoiled, I don't deny that.
My point is about glorifying stuff that is minutes away from the real thing.
While in the panhandle I knew people that drove 12 hours to go to Vortex. Are you kidding me? 30 more minutes and they would've been in the gulf, I don't see it. Good for them, but please don't describe the wonders of a submerged pipe wrapped with an old carpet scrap.

Similarly if you drive from whatever square state all the way to S.Florida please see the ocean ... Don't just go to BHB, that bridge doesn't deserve being "a destination" . Some people love it, great!
I enjoy the 3rd reef of Pompano and go every single weekend the seas allow me, I lost count of the hundreds of dives I've done there lately. But Pompano reefs are sorta meh by compaeison with others in S.F. I recognize that Boynton reefs are way better, but just not as convenient for me and I'm lazy.... And spoiled

Also I see Lauderdale by the Sea in a different category, you can pick a hotel right there and walk out of your room to do enjoy an ocean shore dive. That would qualify as a destination.

My point is about glorifying stuff that is minutes away from the real thing.

I don't understand that statement. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just trying to understand. So if you don't have to take a boat to it it's not the real thing? If you don't go "off shore" it's not the real thing?

BHB is a very unique site because of the tides and it's location in Lake Worth Lagoon and proximity to a very large inlet. It is in no way fake. The bridge is obviously man made as is the park/beach but the life that occupies the site is 100% real and natural. It is a breeding ground for many species found in our waters. You will see things in aggregate at BHB that you won't see anywhere else in the same aggregation. I don't understand how it isn't the "real thing." It's not a reef or a shipwreck. It is a shallow lagoon/estuary. That doesn't make it not the real thing. That just makes it a different, unique thing.

You're absolutely welcome to your opinion. No worries there. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Variety is the spice... I spent a decade diving in the Keys and in SE Florida before I decided to buy a townhouse in Hypoluxo, just north of Boynton Beach. Nine years later, I'm absolutely sure that I did the right thing. I do most of my diving in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm, they are quite complimentary. I dive at the BHB mostly when I can't get out in the ocean, but also occasionally dive it mid-week just to enjoy the leisurely 90-120 minute shallow dive, seeing a variety of wonderful, often unusual, sea life. If I lived in Florida full time, I would likely dive it more frequently.

All of this, no more that 30 miles from my home. I have a little over 1100 dives here now, and can't wait to get down for more :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom