Looking for Full Face Mask Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openmindOW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I not a PSD Diver. I am a recreational instructor and I like to continue my dive training. I'd like to take a Full Face Mask Couse. Where can one sign-up for a class?

Check around with the local dive shops to see if anyone has the gear and can teach it.

Your profile is a bit vague as to location- Fill it out a bit and someone here may know an instructor in your area.

Tom

SSI lists full face mask as a specialty on their main web page. So look around for an SSI shop and they might be able to do a formal course.

You shouldn't need a cert to dive a FFM. If you would like instruction on the proper use of a FFM you could contact your local public safety dive team or Dive Rescue International. Collecting certs just to say your certified in the use of something is meaningless where as asking for instruction on something because you are truly uncomfortable on using a specific piece of equipment without proper instruction is a different story. a FFM is easy to use and can be experimented with in a pool by ones self, the hardest thing for me is equalizing with an AGA the rest seemed self explanitory.

SDI offers a full face mask course. You may want to use their search engine to help find an instructor or dive center.
International Training :: Get Certified :: Expand Your Diving Skills

If you live in AZ, I teach the FFM course. While a lot of it can be learned on your own. Having an instructor show you bailout techniques, breathing techniques, and more can help your learning curve and avoid any bad habits from developing.

New FFM Divers generally use their air supply 20% faster than normal open circuit, so you can throw you SAC/RMV rates out the window.

Lastly, do you research on FFM masks. FFMs are not all created equal.

I'll agree with NorthWoodsDiver, it's not difficult to learn to dive a full face mask, but, learn it you have to do. I'm always a bit baffled by many that take up teaching in recreational shops. Ask the instructor "do you dive a full face mask often?" It's interesting to hear the responses. No, not very often, but, they teach it. Seems sometimes it's just another way to separate you from a few more dollars and sell you a patch. (No, I'm not slamming PADI) For the most part, PSD teams do a fair job of teaching their divers how to use a full face mask, yet, I see many issues when working with teams and wonder how long they've been diving the masks like they do. From tearing out the jaw lugs to over tightening the top strap and sealing on hoods, you would think it's a difficult subject to learn... It's not. Learning the fundamentals of full face masks is fairly easy and applying it is as well. It is something that you have to think about though and practice until it becomes second nature.

I know a few shops around the country that do a good job of working with full face masks. Might help to know where you are on the east coast.

Scubajcf nailed it. There are some masks out there that are certainly much better than others. Beware of bargains, you may get what you pay for…

Last edited:
Thank you to all for your posts. I am located in Washington, DC, but I am willing to travel for a class.

It sounds like I should try the SDI site.

Contact Dive Rescue International, I am sure they can set you up with a class to teach you the proper way to use the mask and maintain them.

PADI offers a FFM cert. I got mine since i use an AGA on a regular basis with my Recovery team. As far as clearing with a FFM,if you have the nose piece set correctly it isnt that much more difficult that using a regular mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom