Looking for help de-burring stainless steel backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deburring properly is a chore. At DSS we start with a 2 hp 6 x 48" stationary belt sander and "flat sand" the outside edges, using 80 grit SG or seeded gel abrasives from Norton, they provide better life on Stainless Steel, but at much higher cost per belt.

Next is a 2" x 60" "loose belt" again with 80 grit SG belts that is used to ease and radius the perimeter edges.

The "burr side" or lower face of the plate, i.e. the side opposite the waterjet nozzle will have a "drag burr" and we knock these off with a pneumatic disk sander with scotchbrite disks. The edges are still sharp on the penetrations.

Any round hole is countersunk slightly.

That leaves many non round penetrations. To treat these I built a custom "burr bench" which is much like a router table, but have a high speed Air Turbine spindle in place of the router, like this:
450HD.png

This spindle turns a solid carbide 90 degree included angle burr that we use to finish the edges of the interior slots. To keep the cutter from over heating and loading coolant is delivered to tip.

After all the sanding and countersinking and air spindle deburring is finished the entire plate is run through a vibratory deburring machine the size of pickup truck. That provides a uniform finish and blends any smaller burrs the countersinks and carbide burrs generated.

The cost of abrasives and carbide and a trip to the vibratory total about $25 per plate, and that does not include labor. Proper deburring is hard, time consuming and expensive, no real way around that.

It takes power, a .02 hp dremel isn't going to do much, note the air spindle about is 3/4 hp or greater.
It takes consumables, carbide cutters, and lots of good quality abrasives.
It takes skill, even with the burr bench the operator needs considerable skill to avoid chatter, poor finish and chipped cutters.

Small wonder that off brands sell plates that lack proper finishing.

If I had a sharp plate I'd pass a good "mill bastard" file around the perimeter, countersink the round holes and "shoe shine" the slots with crocus cloth (buy plenty) Then I'd take medium (maroon) scotchbrite and flat sand the entire thing.

Good luck,

Tobin

I don't think he needs all these tools... First off, He is/was looking for someone to do it for him.. I'm guessing the plate has a few spots that need to be cleaned up and not a lot of work to do it.. I would use this tool that I own and cheap to buy.. And then buff the edges with some 220 crocus cloth.. Total cost $10 to $15 bucks and I bet no more then a hours work for him.. 15-20 minutes for a guy that knows what he's doing...

Jim...

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 40
I don't think he needs all these tools..

Jim, can you point me to where I suggested the OP needed any or all of the tools and methods I listed?

I'm pretty sure I never once said anything of the sort. I did detail how we do it, as an illustration of the effort involved in getting first class results.

I did not however recommend the OP try to duplicate our commercial processes.

I did, if you read my entire post, offer a low cost DIY solution, i.e. a file and come cloth backed abrasives.

20 minutes? I doubt it. None of the professionals participating in this thread hold that opinion, but then we have the burden of having actually finished plates to commercial standards.......

Tobin

Jim, can you point me to where I suggested the OP needed any or all of the tools and methods I listed?

I'm pretty sure I never once said anything of the sort. I did detail how we do it, as an illustration of the effort involved in getting first class results.

I did not however recommend the OP try to duplicate our commercial processes.

I did, if you read my entire post, offer a low cost DIY solution, i.e. a file and come cloth backed abrasives.

20 minutes? I doubt it. None of the professionals participating in this thread hold that opinion, but then we have the burden of having actually finished plates to commercial standards.......

Tobin

My post was not pointed at anyone.... I don't think the back plate went out the door right after stamping the holes or if it was done on a cutting table with a water jet... I've only been working with metal for 45 years, So what would i know...

And here is what he's dealing with "Pulled it out recently to install a harness and in the process I discovered some sharp edges and at least one gnarly bur. It’s way too late to return it."

Jim...

Jim,

If you can finish plates in under 20 minutes with $10 worth of tools I'd suggest you've missed a genuine economic opportunity. :wink:

Tobin

I didn't say I could finish a back plate in 20 minutes.... I know I can clean up a few burrs in a few minutes... You what to get in a pissing match .... I don't see the point... Have a great day....

Jim...

Thank you guys very much for the responses so far. Lots of great tips and perspective here. You won’t catch me taking for granted a nicely crafted backplate ever again. And my next backplate purchase will be made with more care. As of now I’m sitting on an expensive hunk of steel and hoping I can get some use out of it.

While @oldschoolto is correct that my ideal scenario is passing this off to someone who knows what they are doing, I’m definitely giving serious consideration to the DIY suggestions. I’m an apartment dweller with little space so I wrote that idea off before my initial post, but some smaller tools and my buddy’s permission to use his garage or basement could be the ticket.

It’s a Hollis plate and the “H” logo has some rough edges that I think will really rough up a wetsuit or the outer layer of my Fusion-style drysuit. The slots are sharper than I’d like, but as long as I keep a close eye on them and/or reinforce the webbing, they’d probably be okay. I figure if I or someone else is going to the trouble of finishing the plate, might as well round out the slots too.

So maybe small tools, and then a backplate pad (normally would skip this item) to cover the logo burs if I can’t get it clean enough.

@cool_hardware52, I’ll be in San Diego for two weeks in Feb, so maybe I could come up and see you. Although that might be beginning to tip the cost/benefit ratio out of my favor. After drooling over your gear for a couple years now, my biggest worry is what will happen if I come into your shop armed with a credit card…

Thanks again guys, there’s no group of people with whom I’d rather bicker about scuba minutia :wink:

He won't need rouge and a buff unless he's after a lot more shine than a backplate requires.

Tobin

Agree, but shown is a bar of aggressive green cutting compound. I cheat with it a lot using a sisal wheel, it can really remove material in a hurry and leave an acceptable finish. That is indeed a buffing wheel, I kinda like 'shiny' and didn't feel like dismounting the sisal cutting wheel for the pic. :wink:

In addition, I'll push a properly sized zero-flute countersink into the slot corners using a hand drill. If I want to do it right I'll clamp the BP in my mill, but the slightly better results aren't worth the trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom