Looking for Info from Users of Intova/SeaLife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is topside photography, when a digital slipped into pocket will suffice for a quick snap.
I'm not sure there's really anything like a pocket camera in UW photography, which is a whole separate pursuit into itself.
Just about anything is going to be bulky. Even the old Sea/Sea submersible film cameras were not small.
Also, a really good idea to get used to the whole underwater thing first, as suggested previously. Good UW photography doesn't begin with the equipment, but with being a comfortable and confident diver.

I have an Intova 500 that i carry in my BC pocket. Last time I dove with it in my pocket, I think the housing warped from my BC being fully inflated. The housing had water in it but not enough to ruin the camera.

My intova does go through batteries quick. Some rechargable ones would be the way to go.

I have an Intova 500 that i carry in my BC pocket. Last time I dove with it in my pocket, I think the housing warped from my BC being fully inflated. The housing had water in it but not enough to ruin the camera.

My intova does go through batteries quick. Some rechargable ones would be the way to go.

Yes the Intova does go through normal batteries quickly. So I got some 2700mah rechargeable, now it last a day of diving without an issue 3 dives. :crafty:

My buddy has the sealife, and he is none too happy with it. It maybe that the camera needs service. He brought it in for me to look at, and it functions fine topside. Next time we dive together he is going to bring it along and we will try and figure out if this is a mechanical failure, or maybe something else. That said this camera is missing a feature that IMO is a requirement for an UW camera, and that is a Manual exposure mode. One has very little control over the settings.

The Intova also has no manual control, but I've never seen or used that camera.

I'd find a PnS with manual control, and use that. You will also want a flash.

have you considered the Sea Life DC 600 or DC800? They are small enough without a strobe to maybe fit in a bc pocket, and definitely small enough to clip to bc (actually have a clip included for that purpose) and not get in the way too much. They have many manual controls not on the mini, auto focus (mini is fixed, I believe), etc. Nice set up for the price and size/beginning UW photographer.

though, I do have to agree that you want to get your buoyancy and other skills fine-tuned before you do much picture taking. Forget silting up the sand...how about kicking coral and killing it? Coral takes years to grow, and sometimes one touch-down with a finger can kill an entire colony. Some corals just can't seem to recover after one little injury to one little polyp, unfortunately (ask anyone in the reef aquarium industry).

Good luck with your search...it's not an easy decision!

(BigFic's wife)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom