Looking for info on Dive Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84turboz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read most of the reports & recommendations offered on the various dive-ops in
Cozumel on this board. I have a few questions specifically about Dive Paradise only.
This is because I have already gathered that info on the other dive-ops that are so popular here on the boards. I will be staying at the Hotel Cozumel & Resort in Nov.
I would like to limit the responses to those who have actually dove with DP.
I realize the answers will differ depending on whether your experience was on the big,slow Carribean trips or the smaller, faster AM/PM express trips. Thanks!

1. Were the dives time-limited or did you dive your air?
2. What were some of your actual dive times?
3. Did you surface as a group or in buddy pairs?
4. Were your boats grouped with similar experience divers?
5. If you did both the AM & PM express, did you have enough time to grab
a quick bite to eat in-between?
6. Did you arrange a mainland cenote trip thru Dive Paradise?
7. Any other personal observations/experiences/comments on Dive Paradise
appreciated.

I would like to limit the responses to those who have actually dove with DP.
I realize the answers will differ depending on whether your experience was on the big,slow Carribean trips or the smaller, faster AM/PM express trips. Thanks!

1. Were the dives time-limited or did you dive your air?
2. What were some of your actual dive times?
3. Did you surface as a group or in buddy pairs?
4. Were your boats grouped with similar experience divers?
5. If you did both the AM & PM express, did you have enough time to grab
a quick bite to eat in-between?
6. Did you arrange a mainland cenote trip thru Dive Paradise?
7. Any other personal observations/experiences/comments on Dive Paradise
appreciated.

I have dove with Dive Paradise many times. For us, they have provided a good overall experience (usually groups of 10-16 people).

1.) The briefing will be 'X' feet for 'T' minutes, then up safety stop. From experience, the DM's try their best to run it that way but usually if you're good on air you'll get some more time. However, it's not uncommon to run an extra 10min on a tank as they have to round up and retrieve larger groups of divers. Often those 10 extra minutes are done on extended safety stops . Put another way, if you're good on air (especially the ladies) you'll have air left over. Over the years, some of the DM's get to know you and you'll get longer bottom times. The last two winters I have had them let me start with first group and end with later group provided we could see each other. Bottom line, you'll be diving AL80's, with larger groups and on a schedule. Getting longer bottom times will be difficult until have proven you are safe, not a reef destroyer and do what they say.

2.) Going from memory, many dives were closing in on 60min, especially the second am dive. But given their group sizes, etc I'd say count on 45-55min if you're good on air.

3.) They usually send up buddy pairs provided each buddy pair remains in their site until they can see the boat grab them. If the group below and the buddy pairs get too seperated, they will bring up the whole group.

4.) The boats are not grouped for experienced divers (as far as I can tell). And often, the groups on the boats are not setup based on experience. If you are diving in a big group you'll have your best shot at setting up groups. If you walk in on your own, you might easily find a seasoned dive buddy but the other 5-6 people in your group might all be newbies.

5.) Our big groups never do the express dives so no answer here. Many of us do the 2-tank am and single tank afternoon dives. In this case, there is plenty of time as the morning boat gets in around 12-30 and the afternoon boat leaves at 3pm. Once again, this is not the express boats.

6.) I have never done a Cenote dive through DP.

7.) We've always liked them for larger groups (say 12-16). We can all get on a boat that works for us. There are bathrooms, shade from sun, etc. Many of us have become good friends with the DM's and enjoy their company and antics. Some of there bigger boats are better than others. For example, big boats like "Paradise Diver" are very slow and you will be passed by every other boat out there except the other Dive Paradise boats (except their fast boats, Coqueta(?), Renegado(?), etc). If you have a large enough group you can request a specific boat and DM's and they will do their best to oblige.

Things to expect. You will probably be on the boat at least 1hr to reach the first deep southern dive site. By then many operators and express boats have gotten down there, put divers in the water and are just wrapping their dives. They see stuff first. The surface interval is always done going from the 1st southern site to the shallower sites nearer their drop off points. The second sites are always done on shallower parts of the reef and after about 3 days and with a more random group you'll probably dive the 2nd morning sites repeatedly. Afternoon dives are always done closer to town and within 2 afternoons you'll probably have repeated a dive sites.

You can dive nitrox, but it was a bit expensive (IMHO) and I do not know of a package. Last time someone used nitrox it was $10/tank. They do provide a tester. It is easy to go into deco in Cozumel when diving air. The first dives can be deep and if you get some reasonable time nitrogen build up is fair. Then, because the surface interval starts later and is shorter (due to slow boats and schedule) if the second dive is a longer 50-60' dive a deco obligation should be anticipated. I have had times when the DM went into deco within 20 minutes of the second dive!

The advantage of some of the operators you see recommended often (on this forum) is that they'll get you down there sooner, give you a larger tank, get you nitrox if want it, match you to similar divers better, give you longer bottom times, do surface intervals back on the beach (the old way!) getting you a better interval and many more interesting second dive possibilities.

We've always liked DP for fairly big groups (where you sort of "own" the boat). For solo divers and small groups, it's hard to beat the other operators which are praised here so often.

Even if you go with another operator, maybe you should book one 2-tank morning dive with DP to experience it yourself. I love meeting other divers. A big boat can be a PITA, but it can also be great for meeting lots of different people who love to dive.

My daughter and I have been to Coz three times, with the exception of one day that we dove with Allison, we have gone with Dive Paradise every other time, and every day. I would second all of the comments that sinistar made, they are consistent in pretty much all respects with our experiences as well. The only difference would be that we typically take the express boats in the morning for a two-tanker, and the big boats in the afternoon for a one tank dive. Even with that, though, I've never gotten the impression that they tried to group us with other divers of similar experience. We went down as a group, came up as a group, and it has typically been a 50 min dive or thereabouts on average. We're going back again in October, staying at the Hotel Coz (again), and diving with Dive Paradise (again). We like them, they do a very good job at what I feel are reasonable prices, so why not?

I have used them a lot , since the mid '80's . I always take the slower boats, so that is fine with me. Sinistar's post above, pretty well describes my experience with them, also. We either came up as a group, or in pairs. Many times, because of diving 16 +- dives in one week, I told the divemaster that I wanted longer safety stops. No problems with that. Had a lunch provided between dives. Back to motel [ Barracuda , very convenient location ] about 12:30-1:00. Rest a little, & make a 3 p.m. afternoon shallow dive.
Good people & I can recommend them. If you want to make more advanced dives, talk to them.

I have done three trips where we stayed at Hotel Cozumel and dove with DP.

We were on the larger boats where we always seemed to have 3 dms and they split the group up by experience. We had the option to come up in pairs but never seemed necessary although one time we were diving with another couple and the guys went up early and left the ladies down with the divemaster (amazing how long the ladies can breathe on a single tank!).

Yes there was time for lunch which was at the buffet right there on the beach from the docks. Made it very easy.

Don't have my logbook for actual dive times. And haven't done a Cenote trip with them either.

Thanks guys. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for... personal, first hand experience.
It helps me get one step closer to getting my plans set. Hurry up Oct 30!

I stayed at Hotel Coz and dove with DP back in August. We used the small 6 pack boats and they did seem to group us with divers that had similar skill levels.

We did one day where we dove the express boat 2 tank in the morning and then the express boat 2 tank in the afternoon. It was a little rushed between boats. We came in from the first boat around 12:30, grabbed a quick bite to eat and then had to be on the dock at 1:00ish for the next boat. Since the restaurant is right by the docks it was not a problem.

The express boats are very basic (no shade, water and soft drinks only) but get you to the reefs much faster.

Dive times were about an hour (less for Devil's Throat) and as much as 1:25 on Columbia Shallows.

I would dive with them again. I personally prefer Aldora and their steel tanks, but DP was a good dive operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom