Looking for info. on diving in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeW0311

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a dive trip to Key Largo with our daughter who is a brand new OW diver. We would like to travel in the middle to late August.

Can anyone give me some suggestion on places to stay, dive shops/ boats, etc. that you have experience with.

Thanks
Mike

One place that i have gone to that had excellent service and a knowledgable crew is Ocean Divers dive shop/boats. I believe it is in the area of Tavernier. Good Luck

Just got back from Key Largo. We dove with Quiescence for four days, and I would go with them again in a heartbeat. They have 6-pack boats, and were very careful about picking good sites for us. A very, very good operation.
Dan

I'd highly recommend Kelly's on the Bay. Really terriffic outfit. Fantastic boats and crews. Excellent accomidations and vrey reasonable prices. Also has the best local tavern next door (everything they fix is delicious and priced for a local - not a tourist trap).
You can find them on the web (they are located around mile 103)

Hi there,

depending on how your daughter is, you may need to decide whether she will be more comfortable on a larger boat or smaller boat.
I know for my first certified OW dives which I did in key largo, I was more comfortable in a larger boat with more people around, but I know some people prefer it the other way around. If she wants a bigger boat, I have been with Seadwellers several times, usually 8-20 divers on the boat- but it is a big boat and even with 20 it didn't feel crowded. If youare there mid-late Aug, the season will be slower so you should average around 14 on the boat. Their boat is partially covered (very important in Aug) and they go to the "easier" sites in pennenkamp. Dives are always in the 34ft range and they will respect the needs of a newer diver and avoid currents etc. I find their operation safe, friendly helpful and relaxing- I have never felt rushed or like a cattle boat with them- I guess it depends on your personality.

Incedentally, they have been one of the few operators who cancel trips if the weather is too bad. I like this, having been on a boat which pitches and tosses you around is no fun- especially for the newer diver.

As for places to stay, I have stayed in the holiday inn- which is great if you can get good price- comfortable, bar and restuarant- and right by the dock for boat access. i have also stayed at the Ramada- also walkable to boats, depending on which operation, and a nice place to stay.

If you want any particulars, message me. If not- enjoy your trip and your daughter will be hooked when she sees the reef!

jackie

Mike,

We went with Divers City, just a few miles south of Key Largo. Nice boat, 10 divers max, steel 85 tanks. The reefs are shallow (~35') so we had bottom times of over an hour each dive.

N.B. I have no experience with other operators. I researched, chose Divers City, and had a great time.

Also, we used Captain Banny in Marathon (a bit of a drive)--small boat, basic operation, but Banny knows his stuff.

Have a great trip,

Alan

check out our op at www.BlueWaterDiver.net

We're certified for 15, but limit our seating to 10 divers per trip. We're located in front of the Holiday Inn, at mile marker 100 oceanside, in Key Largo.

We offer excellent rates at the Holiday Inn, Ramada Limited, and Marina del Mar... all within walking distance of the dive boat.

Let us know if we can help.

Bluewater Divers gets my vote. These guys are great!! They do their best to cater to what the divers need and want and they make you feel comfortable. Definately check them out.

Reeflover

Well...

Looks like my best dive buddy (wife) and I are going down there for the weekend (Aug. 8-10). WHat a nice surprise from the little woman! Made reservations at Kelly's (Aquanuts Divers). Anyone else headed down there this weekend (would love to look you up while we're there)?

Horizon Divers was rated as the best in a recent survey in Rodale's.

My buddy and I have used Horizon Divers a couple times and they were very good. We dove a couple days with them last November and we loved them. The best recommendation is when you say "I would definitely use them again!"

They are highly professional, and very accomodating. They make a sincere attempt to determine how much "help" each person needs. They would make you and your daughter feel comfortable.

On our second day we requested a specific dive site, and the Captain made it happen. The only odd thing is that the drop from the high deck into the water is an experience.

They also have arrangements with a couple of the local hotels. We stayed at the Ramada about 200 yards from their shop and the rates were really good. (I think it was $79 weekday $89 weekend)

They also pointed us to a few places to eat, so they really take care of you!

You would have a great time with any of the quality dive operations, but sicne you asked for recommendations, I recommend Horizon Divers.

Wish that I was going to Key Largo! Enjoy.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom