Looking for input re Taveuni

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I are going to go to Taveuni (at least that is the current plan) next May. We are looking at Paradise or Garden Island resorts for 7 nights / 5 days of diving.

Never been to Fiji and our choices are based on some reports from friends and searching on here. I would welcome any input on those choices or alternatives. Would like nice accommodations and food, but don't need luxury. Also want a solid dive op with safe boats, not too crowded, will go to the good sites, etc. Prefer dive ops that can deal well with divers that don't need constant monitoring and supervision.

Generally, we prefer low key places, not glitzy stuff. Dive and relax and maybe a nap or a walk in the jungle or along the beach, etc.

We might also want to stay and extra couple days if there are land-based things to do there, like hikes, or jeep drives or whatever.

So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Hi. Good choices I think. Also have a look at Qamea island, which is just to the north of Taveuni. Have a great trip.

Can't speak from experience, but we just landed on 3 days in a house near Matei to do Bouma, Tovoro Falls and Lavena Costal walk then 7 nights at Paradise to dive, dive, dive. We did the Bligh waters from Raki Raki 5 years ago and I spent about a year researching Taveuni for our trip in March.

I highly recommend Nakia Eco Resort. They have only three buses and grow their own fruits and vegetables. The food is excellent. They have a dive operation called Taveuni Ocean Sports. Simply the best operator you will ever experience. We have been with them four times. Check TripAdvisor. The reviews are spot on. Reasonably priced for a boutique resort and safe dive operation.

I'll second Nakia and Taveuni Ocean Sports. I just returned from a 6-day trip there and it was out second visit to Nakia. I recommend the all inclusive package that includes lodging, meals and diving. They have only 4 bures (individual cottages) and all the meals are taken at a central lanai overlooking the Somosomo Strait. Food is excellent and all the fruits and vegetables are grown on the premises. One of the cooks is Indian and her curries are excellent. You'll put in your lunch and dinner orders from the menu at breakfast, so they can spend the rest of the day preparing them. The "rise and shine" breakfast includes bacon, eggs and shredded hash browns.

The dive operation is within walking distance and is excellent. The dive masters are all very experienced and it is about a 20-25 minute boat ride to the rainbow reef. Time your visit so you can dive the White Wall, which is covered with white soft corals. Diving there can usually only be done every two week, due to strong currents. Some combination of the moon and the tides make diving possible only a few days a month. Spectacular dive site with lava tubes down and back up. A google search will turn up the schedule of when it is diveable. They usually segreate the divers based on experience level so you will be diving with others of similar skill, but usually no more than 2-3 others.

All we did for the week was sleep, eat and dive. There is a hiking trail into the forest that begins at the upper end of the property. Wifi is available at the lanai.

You will be met at the airstrip by someone from Nakia and greeted by the owner on arrival. You will not be disappointed.

And we saw the Paradise dive boats out at the white wall. My understanding is Paradise is about a 1.5 hr. drive from the airport and I'm not sure the road past Somosomo is paved. The boat times to the Rainbow Reef appear to be somewhat extreme.

Stayed for a 8 days at Garden Island in March 2018. Well maintained, very very nice rooms, roomy and photos on website are exactly as it seems. All rooms face the ocean with private patios. Nice pool and hottub. Well appointed restaurant. Shore dive upfront is OK (great for snorkeling), but the boat dives are want you want to do. Fastest boat times - like 15 minutes to Rainbow Reef. They are the closest op to Rainbow Reef. They have two boats, so have a backup. Very nice Surface interval beach on another island with the loneliest, friendly cat. Food was good to great, you get a choice of items, they take your input and suggestion if they have enough notice. Value is very good, with all inclusive. Extremely accommodating, friendly staff. Most days, there were only 2-5 of us on the boat with at least 2 dive masters; couple times there was only me. Big, easy on/off boat. Very laid back atmosphere. Super Chill. Great Dive Staff. They assigned a divemaster to watched over my newbie cousin (so i didn't have to, hee hee). Natural water slide, Ferry, and International Date line are easy walks from the small resort. Tiny village nearby worth exploring.
See pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/IcX2ftduqKqpykBt1

Stayed for a 8 days at Garden Island in March 2018. Well maintained, very very nice rooms, roomy and photos on website are exactly as it seems. All rooms face the ocean with private patios. Nice pool and hottub. Well appointed restaurant. Shore dive upfront is OK (great for snorkeling), but the boat dives are want you want to do. Fastest boat times - like 15 minutes to Rainbow Reef. They are the closest op to Rainbow Reef. They have two boats, so have a backup. Very nice Surface interval beach on another island with the loneliest, friendly cat. Food was good to great, you get a choice of items, they take your input and suggestion if they have enough notice. Value is very good, with all inclusive. Extremely accommodating, friendly staff. Most days, there were only 2-5 of us on the boat with at least 2 dive masters; couple times there was only me. Big, easy on/off boat. Very laid back atmosphere. Super Chill. Great Dive Staff. They assigned a divemaster to watched over my newbie cousin (so i didn't have to, hee hee). Natural water slide, Ferry, and International Date line are easy walks from the small resort. Tiny village nearby worth exploring.
See pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/IcX2ftduqKqpykBt1
Dive times are dependent on whoever blows through air the fastest. Once they know you, they will let you dive your computer, just let them know. got a few 70+ mins dives. The diving is FANTASTIC. I'm jealous.

Thank you all for your help. We ended up booking at Paradise, but the other choices all looked good as well. It was hard to make a decision. Hopefully I will get to try the others in the future. I am really glad I posted here because I was unaware of the White Wall scheduling and was able to move my dates around to be there during a good week. Looking forward to the trip.

I'm sorry I'm too late to the discussion. I spent about ten days at Paradise a few years ago. The dive op I think caters to the more casual diver (who dives maybe one or two days a year). The square profiles were bizarre, and bottom times were strictly regulated (50 whole minutes if you were on computers). Since I was not a casual diver, I was sometimes the only diver with the DM, from whom I was able to cajole a few extra minutes of bottom time, at multiple levels.

The ocean front bure was stuffy. There was a fan above the bed but a straw mat under it (I think to catch critters falling out of the thatch roof) prevented efficient air flow.

Well, I am booked, so we will see. I had read something somewhere about strict dive times and inquired and was told that is not the case, although it may have been in the past. In any event, I guess I will find out for myself.

Back
Top Bottom