Looking for Instructor in Nor Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterMedic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for an instructor that can assist in my wife's SCUBA instruction. I'm overseas right now in Korea where i've been doing instruction and getting more experience in the water, but she's not even certified yet. She has requested that I'm there with her when she does her course. I'll be home on some leave for a few weeks in may/june but time is kind of crunched. So long story short, I'm looking for an instructor that we can hire that can help us knock out the training in as short of time as possible, at least to open water. We can do her book work and stuff like that before hand. A couple of points/things to consider.

1. She's already comfortable in the water but has no scuba experience, just a bit of snorkeling.
2. Just because we won't have much time to do the OW certification, doesn't mean we want it rushed. Just the shortest amount of effective time required.
3. We plan on diving with DM/Instructors for quite some time after she's certified. We aren't looking to jump out on our own.
4. I understand that this will be more expensive than doing it with a group

So, If you or someone you know of can help out with this, please let me know. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for an instructor that can assist in my wife's SCUBA instruction. I'm overseas right now in Korea where i've been doing instruction and getting more experience in the water, but she's not even certified yet. She has requested that I'm there with her when she does her course. I'll be home on some leave for a few weeks in may/june but time is kind of crunched. So long story short, I'm looking for an instructor that we can hire that can help us knock out the training in as short of time as possible, at least to open water. We can do her book work and stuff like that before hand. A couple of points/things to consider.

1. She's already comfortable in the water but has no scuba experience, just a bit of snorkeling.
2. Just because we won't have much time to do the OW certification, doesn't mean we want it rushed. Just the shortest amount of effective time required.
3. We plan on diving with DM/Instructors for quite some time after she's certified. We aren't looking to jump out on our own.
4. I understand that this will be more expensive than doing it with a group

So, If you or someone you know of can help out with this, please let me know. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Dan

I'm hoping that points 1 and 2 do not impact the quality of instruction that you're seeking.

- You have plenty of time to get it done. Fast and good are often mutually exclusive. No need to rush.
- Whether you choose to dive with a DM/instructor after being certified should have no bearing on the training your wife gets. The fact of the matter is that OW certified divers should be capable of planning and executing dives on their own, and that's the MINIMUM of what the instructor should be aiming for.

Might help to state what city she is currently living in. NorCal covers a large expanse.

Hi,

Good luck finding an instructor. You probably will get more response posting directly to the NorCal Forum: NorCal

@RJP: No, the quality of instruction is important. I'm just talking about those courses that meet once or twice a week for a few weeks, don't have that much time. Safety first, and like I said, It shouldn't be or feel rushed.
@Peter: I didn't mention a specific city because we can be more flexible if we need to be for location
@Kathy: thanks I might put a post there as well

Thanks for the response so far everyone!

Norcal spans from Monterey all the way up to Crescent City, that's a lot of territory.
It really would help if you gave a location like Monterey, South Bay, East Bay, San Francisco and penninsula, North Bay, Mendocino County, Humboldt County, Del Norte, Sacramento
Where???
If it doesn't matter does that mean if you are up in Sonoma County somewhere you are willing to drive 3 hours to Monterey for an instructor?

Are you specifically looking for private instruction, or a class with lots of future new divers? Do you have a pool to use? (Not at the LDS).

I can't help with any recommendations until I know an approximate area.

Well we'll be in the Sacramento Area (Elk Grove) And Private or group isn't a huge deal, just a good instructor and scheduling so I can get her done while i'm home on leave. Thanks

Check out Dolphin Scuba Center in Sacramento. They have a multitude of instructors, their own pool, and a fine store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom