Looking for Lake Travis dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austinspace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would anyone like to go diving this weekend ? I'm a scuba newbie, having just completed my PADI AOW course. On that we dove from aboard the Giant Stride, which I think is a great value (especially with the frequent diver buy 3 get 1 free deal Robert offers). I mainly want to just get some bottom time to practice and try to improve my buoyancy control. Now that water is beginning to clear a little, I'm eager to start diving on a regular basis ! :)

I wish I lived closer to Austin. I would happily meet up for some underwater time. I am ready also but for my gear it is still a little to nippy for my blood. I am going to have to wait at least another month. I know I will be getting down there as often as I can this year.

I know you will find MANY great people to dive with from this site. It is always great to hang with them. You may want to try to attend the Spring Fling. It will be at Travis but no date is set as of yet.

Welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy your diving experience.

The water is still a little cool for me, I don't have any cold water gear but in a few weeks when the water is at least in the upper 60's keep me in mind I will be ready. Just PM me if you are interested and I will give you my contact info.

I'm diving with another SB member Saturday @ Windy Point (Barstow) around 10am, you're welcome to join us.

I am out of town this weekend but PM me if you'd like to get out sometime soon. I've only been out with Robert once but I had a great time.

Have fun,

Gary

Donning my Captain Obvious Cape, I'd suggest you talk to Robert about more dives from the Giant Stride. You get an insta-buddy, but you get to dive. I know Robert is good about dealing with new divers because he dealt with me perfectly when I was on his boat at like 10 or 14 dives.

Diving with people that volunteer their time is just not the same as booking time with a pro. I did the exact thing you are doing right now (posted here for some dive buddies ... thanks again RumBum and NadMat!!!) and it took me longer than it would have had I just bucked up and went with more training. RumBum and NadMat were both fantastic at keeping me safe and helping me get some dive time, but getting more training worked out better for me once I did it. You can call Mack at Oak Hill Scuba (512)-892-4900 if you're south and book time with him, or call John Lindsey at Scubaland (512) 257-2000 if you're north. Both will work out some dive training above the stuff you've learned in class at a reasonable rate. Mac and John are both top notch guys that will get you more comfortable at depth while providing a safe diving experience for someone new to the life.

Good luck and welcome to scuba board. I'm not local right now or I'd join you, but maybe some day down the road we can get some time in. :)

i second john lindsay! he spent his day off giving me a drysuit class and then we went out to windy point for 3 dives! he is a top notch instructor and i look forward to taking another class with him soon!

FYI: i drove from houston to austin to take the class with him

brett

I've been trying to find the same, dive buddies, for Lake Travis. I'm working on my DMC right now and need a few more dives under my belt to reach the required number of dives. I've got a little cold weather gear and will be willing to dive, just PM me.

Last time I was there in late Feb the water was 57 degrees at 60 feet. I wish I would have worn gloves, but other than that it was fine. Just pick a day when it's not 50 degrees with 30mph wind when you get out and the water temp is manageable.

Let me know when you want to dive!

FYI, next week is Spring Break so I'll be out of school all week and looking to get some dives in.

Another newbie here! I just got some new gear and was hoping to head out this weekend, but.... the whole weather thing. Send me a PM and tell me when you guys are going to be out at Windy Point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom