Looking for new wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm, is the plate universal? And just a couple of manufacturers make a tall and/or short plate?

Afair, the whole point of the palte is that is universal.
No, the doubles plate is only universal because all of y'all copy each other like the Snickers episode :wink:, it is a double tank plate adapted to use with single tanks. A purpose made singles plate is lower profile, much more compact, never needs an STA and positions the tank much closer to the body and center of buoyancy and CG are therefore closer. And reaching the valve, despite having the tank further down the body, is still easy because the tank and valve are much closer to the diver.

One thing causes another, the cylinder being positioned so high and far from the diver thus forces the cylinder to also be mounted high behind the head so as to still be able to reasonably reach the valve. It works but it is not optimal, at least not for me or my wife or many others.

The "M" shaped plates I have seen time to time do appear to be truly universal if not optimal for either. But the standard plate, no, not really.

Highland (XS) just launched a 20lb low profile wing. Looks great - a lot like my Apeks 18 - but no idea how it dives. Ptice will be good i expect.

Attachments

• 20231116_131258.jpg
    20231116_131258.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 36
Hmmm. Today I learned something new. Thanks.

IMHO while diving a single tank I never felt that much unstable with a regular Dgx plate, even when using a STA. And I usually dove heavy 15l tanks.
A doubles plate can work for a single tank and it is okay obviously. But works and optimal are not the same and compromises are made as a result that beget other compromises. You do not know what you do not know until experiencing it. A sports car is not a cargo van and a doubles plate is not a singles plate, it is doubles plate adapted to a singles tank. And this causes some of the controversy over a center vs side outlet on a wing, it makes sense on a double rig, not so much on a single tank ring and especially when fitted to a proper singles plate.

The DSS plate had a flatter bend angle, supposedly better for single tank. Then there is/was the completely flat "vintage plate". Which again is said to work well with single or double hose regulators with single tanks...

Then there is the Freedom Plate (the holy Grail).

The DSS plate had a flatter bend angle, supposedly better for single tank. Then there is/was the completely flat "vintage plate". Which again is said to work well with single or double hose regulators with single tanks...

Then there is the Freedom Plate (the holy Grail).
About 20 years ago there was a person selling a product called a "Jet Harness". It was a flat plate with a custom fitted or DIR harness. This was for single tank only diving. IIRC, the downside was it used a proprietary system for mounting the wing.

Hi, without a STA what stabilizes the tank? Is there something on the wing itself?
If you look at the photo of Eric's rig, you can see the wing has some plastic rods covered with fabric that is used to center the tank on the plate. If the wing has slots to slide the cam bands through then it usually has something similar to center the wing. If there are no slots then it doesn't because it is made to use an STA.

Eric's is the only recent plate I know of that has a built in STA. Years ago an Australian company made a plate with a built in STA. Also there are some plans floating around on the internet on how to make a plate with a built in STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom