Looking for new wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are bungees on both shoulders and each hip. They are there, I suppose, to wrangle a fully-inflated wing. However, they really aren’t necessary. Here are two pics looking at the hip belt with and without the bungee.
View attachment 809595View attachment 809597
Dammit, I didn’t need to know they make them with the orange stripe!

I have just found the Apeks WTX-D30 for $365 USD (locally). Very tempting and no shipping risk🤔
I am (was) using same wing for rec diving and never had an issues with it. Build quality is really nice.

@buddhasummer see if they will sell you the PSD version for like 400 or so. the coating doesn't make it quite as tough as DR XT, but it helps if you are diving wrecks/caves.

agir is replaceable bladder but its not really a super tough wing like DR XT externally, its about on par with halcyon

the chinese wings are ok for light duty, but the extra cost for DGX is worth it if you are using it often. on a cost vs longevity comparison, DGX is almost assuredly going to be the winner. maybe see if anyone you know is heading to where you are for a vacation from the US that can bring the wing to you.

Get a Dive Rite Travel XT or their Voyager XT wing. My wife and I have Voyagers...they are bomb proof, and when Dive Rite introduced the XT super-fabric wings, Lamar made a video that advertised they guaranteed the XT wings for life. Its been a handful of years and I have yet to be disappointed with ours:

-Z
I use the DR Travel XT "armored wing", and it's been great. Well made and durable. 25# of lift. I've used it with HP steel 100's and AL80's with no issues. My original, regular fabric XT is still going strong and it's 13 years old. imo, cant go wrong with the DR.

Has anyone tried the Deep 6 wings? Obviously not available in Oz, but just curious.

I absolutely love my Light Monkey single tank wings. Phenomenal quality. I own 2 of these, 1 halcyon eclipse and a DGX. The Light Monkey wing wins by a mile. They are my go-to wings.

I have a SubGravity Paragon 30 lb wing. The wings come in a variety of colors and sizes. The SS plates come in a couple of sizes as well. They seem to be robust. I can’t tell you how they stack up to others. To be honest, one reason I chose them is because I can drive to their headquarters, but they always answer the phone with helpful people.
On that wing, did you need their backplate to line up the cam band straps or does any typical backplate work?

@andrewmcc i've handled one briefly that another diver on the boat owned. seems fine for a travel wing, but i wouldn't get one for heavy use or overheads. still have to turn it inside out to really dry everything, but if you just want it dry enough to not drip on your backseat after a local dive it does do that.

Has anyone tried the Deep 6 wings? Obviously not available in Oz, but just curious.
We have 2 in our family collection of wings which includes HOG, D6, OxyCheq, DSS, DR, DGX, VDH, and possibly others?....

HOG is my least favorite due to being so wide, next is D6 - original model (just don't like the shape, and it doesn't seem really rugged). DSS also just doesn't thrill me, especially the center hose orientation. Plus, NLA (the "Tobin factor" was always an interesting issue).

I have a love/hate over my Oxy as they are fantastic but expensive.

VDH was fantastic, but no more.

DR/DGX seem a good wing balancing cost.

Back
Top Bottom