Looking for night diving light + focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uniqueimaging

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be going to Bonaire in August, and I'm looking for some suggestions on what my options are for lighting at night.

In a perfect world, I'd like something that will provide enough light to safely complete the night dive, but also that will allow my camera to focus at night for pictures. I will be carrying a back up 4xC cell light just in case.

Will the ikelite mini-c light provide enough light to safely dive at night? I'm not looking to break the bank on the light, as I will still have to buy a mount set up for my dual handles.

Thanks for the help
-Mike

You can check out our SLX 800i focus light, it comes with the 12, 60, and 90 degree beams so you can use it as both a focus light and a dive light.

Will the ikelite mini-c light provide enough light to safely dive at night? I'm not looking to break the bank on the light, as I will still have to buy a mount set up for my dual handles.

The water around Bonaire has good visability, so a big beam is not necessary.
Diving with a small light (4 x C) is enough for me and won't scare the nightlife away. For my camera I'm still looking for a guiding light, like the fisheye focus light.

K.

I use the Fisheye focus light. I know they are more expensive than most people want to spend, but for me they can't be beat. The intensity of the light can be adjusted. I did a night dive last Saturday. Total dive time was 2 1/2 hours. I mounted two focus lights. The first one lasted 2 hours.

You can also use them with color filters. I use a red filter when I am shooting skittish subjects.

This will work
Fantasea LED 360 Light #6036
FNTL360.jpg

$50 and shuts off when it senses strobe.
Or this
FENFL.jpg
http://www.adorama.com/FENFL.html?searchinfo=nano

$40 (older model but works well)

I can second the 50$ Nano from fantasea. I added one to my set up this year and used it instead of the modeling lights on my 2 ys110's. It can be a little disconcerting when the flash shuts it down for a second or so at night but it privides plenty of light and 4 AAA batteries lasted at least 14 hours in the water. I did 27 dives of at least an hour each with it a few weeks ago and only used two sets of batteries.

Mine came for Optical Ocean Sales

jim

The Fantasea 44LED or the newer version works well and at about $50 from Optical Ocean Sales is a good deal. Mine works good even in the murky water hear in CA. Eventually I'll upgrade to something like the Fisheye but they are pretty expensive.

Brian

I'll second the $50 Nano..It's all I use in a night dive. I do carry a backup light in my pocket, but have never turned it on. It works great. Mounts on my hotshoe for the PT030 so I don't have to touch anything but the camera

I've been looking for a very inexpensive light to attach to my strobe arm so when I shoot video with my Canon A570IS I can maybe get a little better color.

Those of you who use the little Fantasea 6036, is it bright enough to use during the day to just make colors appear a little better? I'd be using it in shallowish water in the Florida Keys. Plenty of light there but my videos tend to be a little greenish.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom